Email Conversation/Thread

I'm sending multiple emails from an alarm pipeline with some delays and escalation logic.

We use Outlook 365 and all emails are coming through as individual mails, and not grouping as conversations/threads. At first I prefixed the subject with "RE: " in a naïve attempt to force the behaviour. Obviously that did not work.

I saw this thread about the same issue:

It refers to conservation IDs, but I don't see anything in the docs about such headers.

Is there any way to force the conversation/threading behaviour from the notification block, or even system.net.sendEmail()?

Probably not possibly with notifications, but system.net.sendEmail() can add arbitrary headers. Seems like you are blazing a trail for the rest of us. Please report back when you get it working. (:

{ When I look at a message source in Thunderbird, it is obvious to me that the key headers are References: and In-Reply-To:. You should probably start with those. }

I was hoping someone had already done hard work.

I need to get something working before the holidays, so this might not be very high priority once the actual notifications work.

I don't see anything about arbitrary headers in the docs: system.net.sendEmail - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation

Hmm. You're right. I must have mixed that up with some of the HTTP functionality.

You might need to go under the hood to use java's email functionality directly. ):

Not important enough to jump into the guts of Java to achieve this.

If confirmed that it can't happen, I'll open a feature request.

Yeah I don't think you'd have any way to access this via the scripting function or notification block. You'd have to do the entire mail building and sending in your own code. We probably should have already opened up a headers dictionary at some point, but it's a worthwhile feature request.

5 Likes