Email Notification Not working with Gmail Settings

Settings look okay, although to send to non-Gmail/Google users, you must use SSL

Is IPv6 blocked? I seem to remember Java prefers to use IPv6 by default.

Or IPv6 not having access to the internet.

If you don’t use IPv6 for anything, you can turn it off, forcing Java to use IPv4.

[quote=“KathyApplebaum”]Very odd – I can see them when I’m logged out, but not when I’m logged in. :scratch:

I’ll alert our forum guru.[/quote]

Also, if I’m logged on thrugh the ec2-204-236-130-104.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com url (given with the automated notifications), I can see the OP’s pics but not others. One more nugget of info for the forum guru. :slight_smile:

Our forum guru has worked his magic. All should be well. :smiley:

I think I have all the settings correct. What could be the reason for not able to send the mail through mail notification? I tried third party testing service to test the smtp server settings. I have the same thing going on with it also. Further, I tried it with yahoo mail, but I did not have any sucess with it either. So, should I write a script on Python and link it to the notification? Is that the only way possible?

To answer the original question, here’s what worked for me.

First, I have two-factor authentication turned on in my personal gmail account. When I’ve used gmail for testing SMTP stuff before (inside or outside of Ignition), I’ve never had any luck with port 25. YMMV.

My settings are port 465, use SSL/TLS, and I’m using an application specific password. (support.google.com/mail/answer/1173270?hl=en)

Also note that this is a regular gmail account, not a Google Apps account. In my Google Apps account, the username doesn’t have @gmail.com at the end.

I’ll quote myself. I’m sure it got lost in the shuffle about images… :wink:

[quote=“JordanCClark”]Settings look okay, although to send to non-Gmail/Google users, you must use SSL

I seem to remember Java prefers to use IPv6 by default.

Is IPv6 blocked? Or IPv6 not having access to the internet.

If you don’t use IPv6 for anything, you can turn it off, forcing Java to use IPv4.[/quote]

Shouldn’t be an IPv6 vs IPv4 issue, since he was getting through to gmail and getting back a response.

Good to know why port 25 never works for me. FWIW, I had thought port 25 was never SSL, but looking at some gmail docs, it looks like they require SSL with port 25. Learn something every day.

I don’t think he got a response from gmail, since he got the connect exception. This is happening before authentication.

Hi Kathy and Jordan,

Kathy: I tried it as you have suggested. I turned on the two factor step in gmail, but what I was not able to figure out was how to use the application specific password. I tried with normal gmail password and I still have the same error. Please see through this.

Jordan: I will check if it is because of this issue.

Thanks for your time guys.

Kartik

Sorry got the wrong picture. This is the screen with the setting configuration. Thanks. Karitk

So you need to solve the “Connection refused” issue. Check your firewalls. Can you reach it via telnet? telnet smtp.gmail.com 465

Kathy and Jordan,

I think it is firewall issue. I tried using a different internet connection and it worked. So, I have to check with my office staff to resolve the firewall. I did not use telnet till now for any of my applicaitons. I will see if this helps. Thanks for your responses. It really helped.

Kartik

What Kathy Applebaum said it works for me.
For a google account:
hotname: smtp.gmail.com
port: 465
Use SSL/TLS port : TRUE
username : USER (without @gmail.com) //(pay attention, previously I put @gmail.com
and doesn't works for me)

And, one time is created, test that you've internet connection and test directly on smpt profile
TO : ANOTHER_USER (with @gmail.com)

Just adding to this:

I had to enable ‘Allow less secure apps’ in Gmail settings (https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps)

2 Likes

Well, now Google is turning off the “less secure apps” option that fix my problem with gmail notifications. Now what email domain will work?

If you are brave, and understand email protocols in depth, run your own mailserver for your own domain. Most would pay a hosting service to do so. Either way, you will have to use your own from address, not a gmail address.