"Error getting sample data" if report is scheduled

The Vision client/designer have a timeout, and this is what you're hitting. It's usually a sign that either you have a report with a huge number of pages or a report that is taking a really long time to gather the data.

If the problem is the number of pages, take a look at how much load your gateway has. You might consider moving your gateway to a machine with more RAM, more cores, or faster disks, or you might need to move your reporting to a separate gateway that isn't as busy.

If the problem is how long it takes to get the data, you may want to look at database indexes, moving some of the data to tags, or other solutions that will let you gather the data before the timeout. If you aren't passing user parameters to your report, you could also make the report in advance, cache it on disk as a PDF, and then display it using the PDF viewer.

3 Likes

I just checked the RAM (24Gb) and CPU and they both are fine. For this project I do have a lot of pages going to a lot of tags (historical) that are being observed through the 'data' tab. All of the data is in tags that get pulled through the 'data', some being observed for 1 week but most at 24 hours. So with that said I feel like they are all tags.

However, when I am on the performance tab on the gateway it only shows 2Gb for memory but on the designer software it shows 4 Gb.
So the server that runs this is 24Gb but the gateway is at 2.

Making reports eats up a lot of memory, so increasing the gateway memory sounds like a logical first step. If your report has a lot of images, you may also want to upgrade to at least 8.1.21 -- we did some improvements on how memory is used in that version.

2 Likes

Ignition doesn't automatically use all gateway memory. You configure Ignition's gateway memory usage in its ignition.conf file. (Do not tell Ignition to use all of it.)

The designer is a separate process (typically on a different machine) with its own memory allocation, controlled by a setting in the gateway web interface.

1 Like

Well we changed it to 8Gb of ram just cause we have a lot available so overkill would be fine but same issue the cpu in the performance tab goes up but not maxed out. when I click design it just sits there with load for 2 min then gives the error. Any more ideas?

Under 'Threads' in the performance page there is a pie chart that shows 36 running, 53 waiting, and 135 timed waiting is that something that could be an issue?

No, sounds about right. Ignition is massively parallel. You might just be overloading your database, not your gateway.

1 Like

I would say I do have a decent amount of data, any chance it could be because I am using a SQLite instead of a SQLServer?

Uh, Yeah. SQLite is not a production database. It is designed for light-duty configuration tasks. Most importantly, it is entirely single-threaded.

No need for SQL server. (Shudder.) Use MariaDB or PostgreSQL. Those are both free and production-grade.

3 Likes