"Error getting sample data" if report is scheduled

If there are any schedules for my report, then I get an error message in the designer that says “Error getting sample data” when I switch to the “Design” or “Preview” tabs. The preview also fails to display. The error details are:

[quote]ExecutionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Error serializing parameters.
caused by GatewayException: Error serializing parameters.
caused by NotSerializableException: com.inductiveautomation.reporting.common.resource.ReportSchedule

Ignition v7.9.0 (b2016101208)
Java: Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_111[/quote]

Any idea what could be causing this?

Can you post the full stack trace of the error? I haven’t seen this issue before in reporting, so I’ll need as much detail as possible.

Do you have any parameter overrides in your schedule?

I’ve attached a text file with the full error detail.

I’ve tried with and without parameter overrides, and get the same error. I’ve also tried with various actions and different schedules, and even tried disabling the schedule. I always get the error.

In fact, it doesn’t just cause an error in the designer. The report also doesn’t work in the report viewer when there is a schedule present – it says “Error serializing parameters”.

And the report emailed by the scheduled task is mostly blank. My report just contains one table, and only the the table header is rendered on the report.

Wow, I’m scratching my head on this. I don’t see anything in the error report that leaps out at me. Can you email this to support so they can replicate it and get a bug ticket started?

I have the same problem when i´m trying to scheduled my report. The report in a normal window with no schedule, looks good and shows the data that i want to view, but when i try to schedule and send it via email, it shows me an “error serializing parameters”. The email is sent but it has no data, the tables are empty.
Any idea how to solve this issue please?

I had this same problem a few months back. After talking with support, they had a work around to fix this issue. All I had to do was to completely remake all “query” data sources for the report.

I was also told by a coworker that this bug was fixed in version 7.8.5, so if you are able to upgrade your version it may also solve the problem.

Coincidentally, I’m looking at the bug ticket right now, in a vain hope that it would be an easy Friday afternoon fix. It’s still happening in 7.8.5 / 7.9.2. :frowning:

Are there any fixes for this?

I’m now seeing it on one of my facilities, and they can no longer print batch reports (kinda important).

:scratch: I can’t find the ticket now. Which either means I haven’t had enough caffeine yet this morning or it got fixed. (Equally probable.) Your best bet is to contact to support, let them know there’s an existing ticket for this, and that you’d like the status because it’s causing issues for you. That way if it’s not fixed it can get bumped up in priority (more people having the issue usually means higher priority)

Ha, the caffeine has kicked in. Apparently I fixed it about a month ago, and it should be in the 7.9.2 beta that’s coming out soon.

[quote=“Phil_B”]I had this same problem a few months back. After talking with support, they had a work around to fix this issue. All I had to do was to completely remake all “query” data sources for the report.

I was also told by a coworker that this bug was fixed in version 7.8.5, so if you are able to upgrade your version it may also solve the problem.[/quote]

Is this a good workaround Kathy? I have a large report that I need to get running before 7.9.2 comes out. We’re running production with 24/7 uptime so upgrading to betas is often out of the question. Thanks!

If it’s easy to recreate the data sources it’s worth a shot. I’m not sure why it would work, but I can’t argue with success…

I too have this problem. Recreating the data sources didn’t help.

7.9.2-beta1 is out. (With Edge!)

I would just like to point out that this issue still exists in 2021

Please send the full stack trace into support so we can fix it. Thanks!

I got the same issue “August 2021”, seems like it’s not properly fixed at Ignition 8.1. I’m going to update this post if I find any solution for that.

Still waiting on someone to send in a stack trace.