Error getting system.tag.getConfiguration for client scope

I am trying to use the system.tag.getConfiguration function in a script. When run on a client tag, I get the following error.

Caused by: org.python.core.PyException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Provider not found: client

I have tried capitalizing client to 'Client' but I received the same error. This happens in both the designer and client windows.

I am running v8.1.22.

Any thoughts? I found another thread similar to this from 2019 that questioned if this was a bug. That thread was related to the use of the browseTags function which has been deprecated in v8.

Hmm, well, it doesn't appear to be implemented for client tags, but it's not clear to me if that's intentional or a bug. I'll ask around.

When we moved to 8.x, the entire tag system was refactored to make it more efficient. The only exception to this refactor was Vision Client Tags which fundamentally work exactly the way they did in 7.9. We have made adjustments to legacy scripting options (like readBlocking, delete, writeBlocking) to allow them to work, but the newer scripting options (configure, getConfiguration and even browse unfortunately) are a lot more problematic to implement because of the fundamental differences of how the tags are implemented.

The current behavior is expected. There are currently no plans to add additional functionality to be able to use scripting functions to configure Client tags.

Garth

1 Like