Error launching designer on Debian10: noClassDefFoundError java/sql/Timestamp

I’ve just installed Ignition Gateway 7.9.12 on Debian 10.1 amd64 with LXDE, and when I try to run Designer I get the error above:

immagine

To run designer.jnlp I’ve installed icedtea-netx package, and for Java I have adoptopenjdk-8-hotspot-jre version 8u222-b10-2.

Thanks

The problem seems to be an incompatibility with Java > 8. I found I had openjdk-11-jre package installed and enabled by default for java executable.

By running update-alternatives --config java and selecting the openjdk version now I’ve the correct java version running:

$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_222"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_222-b10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.222-b10, mixed mode)

But I’m still getting the same error.

Have you tried using the native launcher that comes with 7.9.12? (BTW, jnlp has long been deprecated, and is not available at all with Java9+.)

indeed that works, thanks.

Where can I find “native launcher” ??
I’m using Linux Mint 19.2 and I getting the same error…

You can download them from your gateway.

https://docs.inductiveautomation.com/display/DOC79/Native+Client+Launchers

EDIT: Forgot my manners. Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Thank you for reply, but is there some native launchers also for Designer?

On 7.9, I believe you can launch the designer from there as well (upper Right-hand corner IIRC), unless it’s changed in the later versions.

1 Like

Old thread, but same problem here. Using the Native Client Launcher I reach the Open/Create Project window, the Downloading window, but after that no Designer shows up. Using JConsole I found the next message
jdk.management.agent not in boot layer
Any idea?

Ignition version: 7.9.14 (b2020042813)
Java version: openjdk version "1.8.0_312"
OS version: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with KDE Plasma 5.24.4

Thanks, regards

Use the JRE embedded in the launcher.

Hi pturmel, thanks for your reply. I did what you suggest
but the designer startup process, after running all intermediate steps (project selection, resources download), does not show any UI - sometimes it manages to show the Tip of the day popup and that’s it.
Thanks, regards

So, you’ll need to look in the launcher’s log file where it reports the final java command line it used. Copy that and run it in a terminal. You should then have logging in the terminal that should show where it gets stuck.