Error running action 'dom.onClick' NameError: global name 'strip' is not defined

Trying to use Python .strip() when cleaning data from a perspective form. Script runs on a [Create] button on the form. Anyone know why the I can’t use this command?

Can you show us a code sample?

" MyText = self.getSibling(“ProductName_0”).props.text.strip()
ProductName = MyText[:32] #only the first 32 char and remove leading and trailing spaces"

Causes:
com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.JythonExecException: NameError: global name ‘strip’ is not defined

I have also tried

• MyText[:32].strip()
  • strip(MyText[:32])

I think you’ve either left out some import context or your error message is not from the script you think it is.

I would expect that to be an error maybe for this attempt:

strip(MyText[:32])

Sorry, I’m working on this webpage

The [create].onClick code reads

msg = ''
	CrLf = chr(13) + chr(10)
	MyText = self.getSibling("ProductName_0").props.text
	if len(MyText.strip()) < 3:
		msg = "Product/Recipe must have more than 3 characters" + CrLf
	MyText = self.parent.parent.getChild("CoordinateContainer_0").getChild("Why").props.text
	if len(MyText.strip()) < 1:
		msg += "Must have a reason for the changes" + CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("HeatRPM_0").props.text
	if not MyFunc.isanum(MyText):
		msg += "Heat Rotations Per Minute, must be a number" +CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("CoolRPM_0").props.text
		msg += "Cooling Rotations Per Minute, must be a number" +CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("HeatUpC_0").props.text
		msg += "Heat Up degrees Celsius, must be a number" +CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("HeatOilC_0").props.text
		msg += "Heat Set Oil Temp Celsius, must be a number" +CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("HeatBedC_0").props.text
		msg += "Heat Set Bed Temp Celsius, must be a number" +CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("CoolC_0").props.text
		msg += "Cool/Packout Temp Celsius, must be a number" +CrLf
	MyText = self.getSibling("HeatTime_0").props.text
	delm = MyText.find(":")
	if delm <0:
		msg += "Heat Set time, must conform to Hours:Minutes" +CrLf
	else:
		hh = int(MyText[:delm])
		mm = int(MyText[delm+1:])
		if hh >24 or hh<0:
			msg += "Heat Set time, must have 0-24 hours" +CrLf
		if mm >59 or mm<0:
			msg += "Heat Set time, must have 0-59 minutes" +CrLf
	if msg <> '':
		self.session.custom.PopUpResults = ''
		self.session.custom.PopUpLabel = 'Message'
		self.session.custom.PopUpText = msg
		self.session.custom.PopUpBtns = 'OK'
		system.perspective.openPopup('CreatePopUp','MsgBox')
	else:
		MyText = self.getSibling("ProductName_0").props.text.strip()
		ProductName = MyText[:32] #only the first 32 char and remove leading and trailing spaces
		MyText = self.parent.parent.getChild("CoordinateContainer_0").getChild("Why").props.text.strip()
		Why = MyText[:64] 
		HeatRPM = float(self.getSibling("HeatRPM_0").props.text)
		CoolRPM = float(self.getSibling("CoolRPM_0").props.text)
		HeatUpC = float(self.getSibling("HeatUpC_0").props.text)
		HeatOilC = float(self.getSibling("HeatOilC_0").props.text)
		HeatBedC = float(self.getSibling("HeatBedC_0").props.text)
		CoolC = float(self.getSibling("CoolC_0").props.text)
		HeatTime = strip(self.getSibling("HeatTime_0").props.text)
		params = {
			"ProductName":ProductName,
			"HeatRPM":HeatRPM,
			"CoolRPM":CoolRPM,
			"HeatUpC":HeatUpC,
			"CoolRPM":CoolRPM,
			"HeatOilC":HeatOilC,
			"HeatBedC":HeatBedC,
			"HeatTime":HeatTime,		
			"CoolC":CoolC,
			"Who":self.session.props.auth.user.userName,		
			"Why":Why}		
		system.db.runUpdateQuery("AddRecipeRow",params)
		self.parent.Vis(0)

When I click [create] and jump back to the gateway screen, the last message is always:

BtnCreate is the name of the button I’m clicking on.

That is all the context I can think of… :slight_smile:

If you're going to use the strip function like this you need to import it first:

from string import strip

Surround code you post in triple back-ticks and it will preserve the formatting.

```
code goes here
```

Thanks! and will do.

To expand a bit on Kevin’s statement:
strip() is a builtin method on string instances - so as long as $reference.props.text is a string, you can call .strip() on it just fine.
But strip() is not an automatic top level builtin - if you want to statically call string.strip, you must import it, and then pass a string instance as the first argument.
It’s the same method (basically) but two different call patterns. The instance method is much more idiomatic in this case.

I Dig it. I was troubleshooting the wrong line of code. I thought I had exhausted all possibilities, but it was complaining about a different line of code than I was modifying. Is there a way I can determine which line the error is occurring in the log? - so I’m not barking up the wrong tree in the future.

If you ‘expand’ the error message (the plus icon) it should show a stacktrace with a distinct line number from Jython. We do some trickery with script compilation behind the scenes, but the line numbers in the errors should be accurate to your script.

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.JythonExecException: NameError: global name ‘strip’ is not defined
at org.python.core.Py.NameError(Py.java:261)
at org.python.core.PyFrame.getglobal(PyFrame.java:265)
at org.python.pycode.pyx330.runAction$1(:70)
at org.python.pycode.pyx330.call_function()
at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:173)
at org.python.core.PyBaseCode.call(PyBaseCode.java:306)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.function___call
(PyFunction.java:474)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.call(PyFunction.java:469)
at org.python.core.PyFunction.call(PyFunction.java:464)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager.runFunction(ScriptManager.java:843)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager.runFunction(ScriptManager.java:825)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectScriptLifecycle$TrackingProjectScriptManager.runFunction(ProjectScriptLifecycle.java:689)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager$ScriptFunctionImpl.invoke(ScriptManager.java:994)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectScriptLifecycle$AutoRecompilingScriptFunction.invoke(ProjectScriptLifecycle.java:754)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.script.ScriptFunctionHelper.invoke(ScriptFunctionHelper.java:133)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.action.ScriptAction.runAction(ScriptAction.java:71)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.action.ActionDecorator.runAction(ActionDecorator.java:18)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.action.SecuredAction.runAction(SecuredAction.java:44)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.ActionCollection$ActionSequence$ExecuteActionsTask.lambda$call$0(ActionCollection.java:263)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.api.LoggingContext.mdc(LoggingContext.java:54)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.ActionCollection$ActionSequence$ExecuteActionsTask.call(ActionCollection.java:252)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.ActionCollection$ActionSequence$ExecuteActionsTask.call(ActionCollection.java:221)
at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.threading.BlockingTaskQueue$TaskWrapper.run(BlockingTaskQueue.java:154)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.python.core.PyException: NameError: global name ‘strip’ is not defined
… 28 common frames omitted

I could not decipher a line number out of here.

Hmm, interesting. I’m not sure why we’re not logging them to the gateway, but if I do the same in a script and then fire it in the designer, I do get a useful line number:

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.JythonExecException
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<function:runAction>", line 2, in runAction
NameError: global name 'strip' is not defined

at org.python.core.Py.NameError(Py.java:261)
	at org.python.core.PyFrame.getglobal(PyFrame.java:265)
	at org.python.pycode._pyx8.runAction$1(<function:runAction>:2)
	at org.python.pycode._pyx8.call_function(<function:runAction>)
	at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:173)
	at org.python.core.PyBaseCode.call(PyBaseCode.java:306)
	at org.python.core.PyFunction.function___call__(PyFunction.java:474)
	at org.python.core.PyFunction.__call__(PyFunction.java:469)
	at org.python.core.PyFunction.__call__(PyFunction.java:464)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager.runFunction(ScriptManager.java:849)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager.runFunction(ScriptManager.java:831)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectScriptLifecycle$TrackingProjectScriptManager.runFunction(ProjectScriptLifecycle.java:689)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.script.ScriptManager$ScriptFunctionImpl.invoke(ScriptManager.java:1000)
	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectScriptLifecycle$AutoRecompilingScriptFunction.invoke(ProjectScriptLifecycle.java:754)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.script.ScriptFunctionHelper.invoke(ScriptFunctionHelper.java:133)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.action.ScriptAction.runAction(ScriptAction.java:71)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.ActionCollection$ActionSequence$ExecuteActionsTask.lambda$call$0(ActionCollection.java:263)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.api.LoggingContext.mdc(LoggingContext.java:54)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.ActionCollection$ActionSequence$ExecuteActionsTask.call(ActionCollection.java:252)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.model.ActionCollection$ActionSequence$ExecuteActionsTask.call(ActionCollection.java:221)
	at com.inductiveautomation.perspective.gateway.threading.BlockingTaskQueue$TaskWrapper.run(BlockingTaskQueue.java:154)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run$$$capture(FutureTask.java:264)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)
Caused by: org.python.core.PyException
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<function:runAction>", line 2, in runAction
NameError: global name 'strip' is not defined

... 27 more

Ignition v(Dev Version)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.11

Definitely would be good to have that in the logged message.

In the future, I’ll try that before giving up and starting a thread.
Thanks,

I filed a ticket so we can see about getting better error messages to the gateway logs. It looks like it’s just being truncated by accident.