Error storing tag history data

Getting this error pop up every 10 seconds in our logs, on Ignition 8.1.1 (b2020120808)

Here is the log message:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Specified historical sink ‘IgnitionMaindB’ does not exist.

at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.history.HistoryManagerImpl.storeHistory(



at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$ Source)

at java.base/ Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$ Source)

at java.base/ Source)

We use MS SQL and i’ve seen a few forum posts saying the JDBC driver may need updating maybe?

We were originally on Ignition 7 and are currently testing 8 so it’s not in production yet. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

Go into the Gateway, Status, and check the DB connection is OK there.

Did you convert 7.9 to 8.1.1? There are forum posts on migrating versions.

The database that it mentions “IgnitionMaindB” isn’t even one we’ve had made before in MS SQL which is what makes things confusing.

Database connection is good, I even deleted and re-added the Microsoft JDBC driver to ensure it’s using the correct file for Java 11 (didn’t help)

We are in the process of migrating yes, though not sure if we just created this new 8.1.1 as a copy of our old setup (ie- fresh install and copied settings) or if we did a migrate and left 8.1.1 as a test (I’m new to the project to try and help with this error).

Okay I figured it out!

Within designer I did a search (in the find/replace section) and found some very old tags trying to reference what I assume is an old user named “IgnitionMaindB”. Replaced with our actual connection name and all sorted.


Hello, I have same error , im using internal tag historian i don’t understand how this error get. Also the same historian tag provider available there then how this error get.
The same tag provider disabled and after tying to enable it is not enable.

Also tag historian log data of 1 week even setting up 6 month time. Kindly assist me on this issue


That worked for me as well. I'd put some bad characters in the storage provider field. Good post!