ERROR: Unable to connect to OPC Servers

I keep getting this error when I try to start any of my groups. I am running KEPDirect and had this running before. The OPC server seems to be running fine and I cannot find anything that looks different. What could I have changed to cause the breakdown?

Thank you,

Keith Bowling
Halkey-Roberts Inc.

Keith-

Have you changed anything in particular since the time it was working and now? Or do you mean that you had the setup working on a different machine, but now you’re trying to do the same thing and it won’t work?

The most common cause of this is incorrect DCOM settings. Certain changes to the system can modify these settings, or cause this problem in other ways. These changes include:
-Upgrading Windows to service pack 2 (and maybe some other windows updates)
-Joining a domain
-Installing a firewall
and so on. Any idea if something like this has happened?

Regards,

The strange thing is that it had been running earlier on the same machine. I had this running from my PC. I had it configured with no problems and the other engineers were able to view the FactoryPMI page I created without issue.

I will look into it further to see if the network guys made any changes and I will review the setup. I will let you know what I find and if I can generate any new response from the software.

Thank you,

Keith

Keith-

In reviewing you originally post I realized I mis-read it a bit. I missed the fact that the errors are occuring when you’re starting groups. This could happen for a few reasons, including the ones mentioned before. However, to start off with, are you seeing any live values in your groups before you try to start? That is, are values appearing in the item pane of factorysql?

If you have some free time (and an internet connection on that computer), we could jump on GoToMeeting and try to figure it out interactively. Just call the 800 number and ask for me, if you’re interested.

Regards,

For the sake of completeness and for anyone else who might read this later with the same problem:

It turned out that the culprit was a change to the Channel/Device names in Kepserver. These names become part of each tag’s path, and when they are changed, the paths of existing items in FactorySQL will need to be changed as well.

To quickly change the paths, you can use Search & Replace (right click in the group’s pane), and include the Item Path in your search.

Hope this helps someone else too!

Regards,