Error writing to OPC UA tag : "Bad"

I'm working on duplicating an existing tool that writes to OPC tags to control access level on some PLCs. I have setup the tags in the same manner when I expanding the tool previously. The tool does nothing when the field is edited. If I step back and try to change the value of a tag in the tag browser, I get this error:

Error writing to User Access Level.value: Bad
ErrorWriting

I have opened the PLC program and validated that the corresponding UDT for the Controller tags has External Access set to Read/Write.

If I edit the tag in the PLC, the corresponding value updates in Ignition.

The tag is a Controller tag in scope and in the UDT is setup as a DINT, just like the other tags that are set up in the existing tool (different equipment but same Allen Bradley Contrologix hardware)

I have tried changing the tag permissions to Public and I still receive the same message

I tried to look at the gateway logs put couldn't find any additional details about the error. Not sure if there are individual errors logged for OPC transactions.

Where can I find more info about this error?

Any advice is appreciated.

You might mention what device driver you're using and show the configuration. Someone may spot an error there.

You've tagged the question as Perspective but I don't think that's relevant to the problem you're describing.

These devices are using the Allen-Bradley Logix Driver.

Here is a sample configuration. It's essentially the same (except name/IP address) as the OPC devices whose tags CAN be edited.

Did you disable "automatic rebrowse" in the connection's advanced properties? Have you tried an edit/save cycle on the device to restart it?

{ There are reports that some later Logix firmware versions don't always flag tag edits for 3rd party connections as documented by Rockwell. Restarting a device should force a rebrowse anyways. }

Studio5000 Firmware is 30.14

I just tried editing the connection properties on all of the devices. I disabled automatic rebrowse and then disabled->enabled the OPC-UA device connection.

The same error still displays if I try to edit the tag in tag browser.

Is there a place I can find a more meaningful error log to perhaps troubleshoot more?

I found this thread that sounds like probably the same problem. They mention turning on Trace-level of logging for com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opcua.client.connection.OpcUaConnection but I'm not sure where to find that. I've browsed around a bit in the Server setup webpages but I don't see where I can specify or view logs for specific parts of Ignition. I'll keep looking.

Consider restarting the entire OPC UA Module, if you can tolerate the disruption. I've encountered situations where OPC Node properties get "stuck".

We are luckily not in production today, so I was able to try that. Seemingly no change, unfortunately.

Are you sure that member of that datatype is writable? Datatypes and AOI types have per-member external access controls.

That was it, @pturmel. The Parameter inside the AOI that corresponded to this tag was set to Read Only. I tried a bit of foolery but it seems that the only way to change the External Access level on such a parameter is Offline, so that means the settings change requires a Download, in case anyone runs into this in the future.

1 Like