Example OCP-UA Device classNotFoundException

Trying to get the OPC-UA device example to work. Running Ignition 8.0.16, cloned the git repository, built the example. This resulted in a version error. Changed the pom.xml ignition-version to 8.0.16, built again. Now I have this error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/inductiveautomation/ignition/gateway/opcua/server/api/ManagedDevice
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.opcua.server.api.ManagedDevice

This class is supposed to be part of the SDK, no? What am I doing wrong? Is there really no documentation or current guide for this?

1 Like

this class is for 8.1.0, you probably have to use 8.1.0-RC to test it

I see. So should I clone the ignition-8.0 branch? Where in that defined? I don’t see anything about that in the pom file.

Yes, use the ignition-8.0 branch of you’re going to build a driver for 8.0.x for some reason.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking is defined where, but the pom files do reference the required Ignition version and SDK version: https://github.com/inductiveautomation/ignition-sdk-examples/blob/309fa0642b62f093c3adff050022e311d4dac2d7/opc-ua-device/pom.xml#L18-L19

1 Like

“driver for 8.0.x for some reason”
Why wouldn’t I want to build a driver for the current stable release?

I was hoping it was a configuration somewhere I could change to point to a different version. Hence changing the ignition-version property in the pom. Sounds like it’s much more structural than that.

8.1.0 is imminent and is a long term support release series.

8.0.x will see an 8.0.17 release and never be updated again.

If you’re starting a new project, and take into account there are some API differences between 8.0 and 8.1, it makes most sense to me to develop it for 8.1

1 Like

I see. I wan’t sure on the release schedule. I usually stay away from things with “RC” in the name.

I’m looking to port an existing non-ignition driver to an existing Ignition installation. 8.0 is the correct version for me for now. Don’t have any time tonight but maybe tomorrow I can try the older branch.

Thank you.