Exception occurred during async write operation

Getting an error message stating “exception occurred during async write operation”
Has anyone received this error or understand what is trying to speak to?

The detailed error message reads:

CompletionException: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Read timed out
Caused by: com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Read timed out
Caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

The error message you’ve posted is just indicating the gateway didn’t return a response in time. Check the gateway’s log for an error message happening at the same time.

I’ve watched the log in the gateway and I don’t see an error happening at the same time. This problem started to occur when I changed my scripting of buttons writing to tags. I had previously had my Control Value of the button write to exampletag.value - This had been creating another error previously saying “error writing to tag.” I saw on another forum that by taking out the “.value” at the end of what tag I was writing to, could get rid of that error. Once I took away the “.value” I got rid of that error message, but that’s when I got this new error of “async write operation.” I’m seeing the machine I’m working on see the effects of this new error. I try to make some things move by pressing some buttons and nothing happens, but a minute later, that error message will pop up and then everything on the machine tries to move at the same time. I hope this helps describe what I’m experiencing.

Can you post your script? And the full ‘details’ of the error message?

What you’re describing sounds like a scripting action locking up the ‘Event Dispatch Thread’. Java Swing (the technology behind the Designer and Vision clients) is a single-threaded GUI - so anything that takes a large amount of time to run (ie, a blocking write to tag, if you’re running your script on the EDT) will prevent anything else on the GUI from running in that time - including the act of repainting the GUI to move your components around, your mouse cursor, etc, etc.

There are a variety of ways to fix or mitigate that problem, but it’s hard to advise what’s best without seeing exactly what’s causing the problem.