Expanding RAID6

Specifically in a Perc730p in a Dell server.

It has a RAID 6 of 8TB drives, and all the bays are full. The volume on the RAID is over 80%full and rising (that has mostly camera footage not Ignition) steadily. I could copy to an external drive, and reconfigure the RAID with larger drives, but think there should be a simpler way. Being RAID 6, I’d think one could replace the drives one at a time, let it rebuild, and replace the next, next…then reconfigure the size when they’re all 16TB drives - without too much risk. Considering rebuild time, maybe not actually easier though.

Also I’m not even certain whether the Perc730 would allow it once all the drives are the same size again, but I’d think that it would recognize that all the drives are the new size.

A DAS might be an option to gain space too, but doesn’t seem as clean as expanding the existing storage.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

This is what i did for one of the NVR's i am responsible for. it actually worked out really well.

1 Like

I would push old video to an archive device.

1 Like

That works too, though depending on what NVR is being used you may lose the ability to search for motion events and analytics. You may also need a separate player. By going the das route its completely seamless(most likely).

1 Like

That works too, though depending on what NVR is being used you may lose the ability to search for motion events and analytics. You may also need a separate player. By going the das route its completely seamless(most likely).

Correct; the entire timeline needs to be seamless and full functioned. Outside of the retention period, it doesn't even need an archive, but the cameras in question are more for quality than security, so it is a rather long retention.

I'm still pondering ways to expand the existing RAID, but that DAS is sounding better & better. Thank you!

I am on the exact opposite side, they are for security and per regulation i need to keep the video for a year, with over a hundred cameras, im looking at half a petabyte. The DAS worked beautifully.

1 Like