[FEATURE] Data Matrix symbology

The timing of Ignition 8 is perfect for a new project I’m working on. I will have parts labeled with data matrix but that symbology doesn’t seem to read in the test mobile app. Are there plans to support it? If not I may make plans to change to QR.

Thanks,
Steve

Just tried with:

• Code 39
  • Code128
  • QR
  • DataMatrix
  • EAN13
  • PDF417

All scan correctly. :confused:

1 Like

Weird? I’m using the iOS app (12.0.1) and all those symbologies work except for Data Matrix.

Do you need to enable the symbology use on your device? I have seen quite a few devices that require that.

The only place I know of is the “Scan QR Codes” option in the native camera app setting. Is there somewhere else to look? I checked the Perspective settings and only saw the basic “Location, Camera, Sir, Cellular Data” options. This is all with an iPhone 7 running iOS 12.0.1

I know iOS can do it and have been using another app (NeoReader) for years. FWIW NeoReader can read the DM codes that aren’t reading in Perspective.

The devices I saw had it as a setting in a native app (“Non-Apple” app). Maybe a setting for Perspective Mobile? Allow only the symbologies you want to be to be loaded and others to not for barcode scanning… with all the standard formats as a potential option of course.

I don’t see anything in the Settings section of their app or the under iOS settings:

@JordanCClark what device did you test on?

I should also mention that I tested with Aztec and that worked. The only one that doesn’t work is the one I need :confounded:

The Ignition Perspective native app supports these formats: Code 128, Code 39, Code 93, Codabar, EAN-13, EAN-8, ITF, UPC-A, UPC-E, QR Code, PDF417, Aztec, Data Matrix.

Currently, we check all of those formats and if one matches we send data back. We plan to let users choose which formats they want to use in the Perspective Client from the action that requests the scan.

You should be able to read that code. Are you launching the scanner from our Demo Project or from main screen of app?

That particular screenshot is from the demo project but there’s no result from the main screen either. Same result on my iPad for both. Unfortunately I don’t have any android devices to test with.

I was able to reproduce what you saw with the iPhone 7 not reading that data. It’s working ok with our other devices, iOS and Android. I checked it against our next version, which hasn’t hit the app store yet, and it worked well. We’ve upgraded the libraries used for scanning barcodes and appears the issue has been fixed.

4 Likes

Thanks for following up. I’ll keep an eye out for the update. Really looking forward to ignition 8!

I’m unable to generate correct DATA_MATRIX barcodes from the reporting module. Here’s my post in case this is a related issue.

http://forum.inductiveautomation.com/t/barcode-report-generating-incorrectly/25963?u=nburt