[Feature] Designer Esc Key To Move Up Through Nested Containers

I often find myself hitting the Esc key when I have a nested object selected in the Designer, even though it doesn’t do anything (apparently my brain is pretty slow at learning this…). Not sure if it is feasible, but it would be nice if the Esc key would navigate up through Nested Containers.

https://ideas.inductiveautomation.com/ignition-features-and-ideas/p/perspective-designer-esc-key-navigate-through-nested-containers

1 Like

I do the same thing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: “maybe it’ll work this time… Nope. Damn”

If you click on a component in the project browser, Esc will focus the View instead of the project browser which is very useful. But yes, using it to also back up the container structure would be very useful as well.

1 Like

According to Keyboard Shortcuts - Ignition User Manual 8.1 - Ignition Documentation it does do something - just not what you’re trying to do.

Good point. My comment - “doesn’t do anything” - is a bit misleading. Should be that it “doesn’t do anything in the context of selecting an object in the designer (except for deselecting a component on the main screen, as detailed below)”.

One thing it does in the Perspective Designer that isn’t documented is that, when you have an object selected, hitting the Esc key will deselect the object on the main designer screen. This puts you in a weird state where you still have the object selected in the Project Browser, but the object is not selected in the main designer screen and the Property Editor is empty. Not sure if this is a bug or just undocumented.