[Feature] Embedding Third party Websites

Will it be possible to embed third party websites (i.e. Dashboards) similar to the Web Browser Module so that clients can consolidate all of their other systems into one viewing portal?

I would imagine you will be able to place a perspective window in an iframe on another page. With the full-featured module, at least.

I think Andrew may have meant the reverse - other websites inside a Perspective project.

The answer is basically the same. Perspective has an iframe component which allows the embedding of other web sites inside a perspective session.

Will it be possible to load our own HTML page from Ignition gateway in to a perspective client? (Or even for that matter the vision client module?). Also can Ignition gateway tag values be read into such a client using scripting or any other technique for let’s say displaying them in a jquery component?

Will it be possible to load our own HTML page from Ignition gateway in to a perspective client?

I suppose, it's an iframe, you can load whatever you want in it.

(Or even for that matter the vision client module?).

Vision-based mobile module is not compatible with Ignition 8, although I suppose if you were determined you could run 7.9 on another server and embed it that way. Please don't.

Also can Ignition gateway tag values be read into such a client using scripting or any other technique for let's say displaying them in a jquery component?

I don't understand this question.

2 Likes

What I meant was say if I want to bind tag values (or tag json documents supported in the revised Ignition 8 gateway data structures) to some javascript script variables or objects embedded in the HTML page loaded from Ignition server (iframe) which I can use for displaying dashboards etc using third party DOM libraries like jquery or ignite etc, or SVG graphics objects, how can i do that? (Prahaps ajax calls embedded in the HTML may be useful?).

Or if I can use exiting JYTHON client script libraries in perspective client to read/write tag values, which I can pass on to the JS code in HTML , then it may be possible I guess.

I just don’t know why you’d want to do any of that by hand in an embedded iframe, considering that’s what perspective is designed to do for you.

Agreed, but perhaps my acscada clients (virtual tours) can be run directly in the client that way. Right now I have to have my own server (tomcat or nodejs server connecting to Ignition gateway server using a module called GCM) driving these clients, as the vision module doesn’t allow embedding HTML pages from Ignition server in to them. With perspective if its possible then it will seamlessly integrate with Ignition!

Ah, I see. That might work. You could also write a module to add components to Perspective, if that would be a better fit.

Sure I would love to do that. I hope I get the beta version so that I can try it out!

I was just wondering which language the perspective designer is written in? Is it JAVA (like the current Ignition designer module) and in which language will the module for adding components to Perspective will have to be written in ?

The designer is still the same Ignition designer (Java Swing). Check out some of the conference videos from ICC for the Into to Perspective. It will prob answer a lot of your questions. https://icc.inductiveautomation.com/archive/videos/2018/sessions

4 Likes

The designer is still Java/Swing. In Perspective, there are both java and web (javascript) apis, the use of which depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Depending on what your module does, you may not need to write any designer-oriented java code. To write your own components for perspective, you do need to create a module and register your components and properties with a java registry, but most of the real implementation would be in client side ts/js code (mostly in the form of react components). If you need more advanced configurability or if you are writing highly specialized components such as Containers then you'll probably want/need some supporting Swing elements as well.

Upon release of the beta to the early-access signups, we'll also release a full module example for 3rd parties that want to create custom components.

3 Likes

Look forward to the release of beta and the example for creating custom components.