[Feature] Perspective - Table subview: opening with double-click, collapsing

Our customer is thrilled about the subview feature. They mentioned it’s making their interface easier since we’re providing a preview of a different view within each row. They need to drill down the data of each row and this way they don’t have to keep toggling between views and browser tabs.

They asked us if it would be possible to open the subview by double-clicking the row rather than the small arrow on the left. I guess it’s currently not possible. I’d like to make a suggestion to make it accessible on how we can open it (maybe a property?). They asked to open it by double-clicking the row, but I would also extend the request to open/close by different means, mainly scripting. I’d like to use the keyboard (arrows) to navigate through the rows and open/close the subviews (hit enter?).

I already implemented the navigation through keyboard events and row selection properties. Also, we’d like to collapse all when new data is coming (due to user request), which can be done by property change script… So all we would need is some control over opening and closing the subviews.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ll have to think on this and get back to you, since it will clash with cell editing.

-Yousuf

1 Like

I see the problem… Well here’s one idea: what if the cell property allowEditOn splits into something like event (single, double-click, long press) and action (edit, subview, something else?)
It is tricky, but it would be good to have this option.

I appreciate your attention to this request.

1 Like

That’s a thought. I’ll add it to the list of feature requests and if it seems like something we can do we will make it happen.

-Y

2 Likes

Hello Y, we are using subview to edit rows in the table.

Our client is also wondering why it is only possible to expend the subview with the little arrow on the left. It is not intuitive, and hard to click on a tablet.
Also, they would like the subview to close when saving change for the row. Currently, the is no way to close the subview by a script.

It is even worst when we use the subview to delete the row. The subview stay opened for a different row, but with the data of the old deleted one. It is really confusing and risky for our data integrity.

I tried to disabling+reenabling props.row.subview.enabled as a way to close the subview; it does not work because the table seems to keep in memory which row was opened and reopens it when subview is reenabled.
Idea A) being able to access and edit the list of expended rows.
Idea B) when disabling subview, forget the list of expended rows.

Really hope it could be improved.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the response. We hear you. It stays open because we do not now when it should be closed because the only thing we are going off of is the rows true index. I suppose if we could dedicate a column to some unique identifier we could add this, but I don’t think we have to. Instead, we will leave that up to you by providing some scripting methods. It’s a good idea, and it is in the pipeline waiting on implementation. Thanks again

2 Likes

New table subview functions were added on Release 8.1.17, I have not tested them yet:

The Table component now has two scripting functions: expandSubviews and collapseSubviews. ExpandSubviews takes in an array of indices of rows to expand (will only expand rows that are currently visibly displayed on the table) and collapseSubviews takes in either an array of indices of rows to collapse (will only collapse rows that are currently visibly displayed) OR no parameter at all to collapse all currently expanded subviews that are part of the current visible data.

1 Like