Fill Perspective Tree component with a dataset?

In the manual:

The Tree component can display any tree hierarchy. It is configured by filling in a dataset. Each row in the dataset will become a node in the tree. Each node has a path, for example, "West Area/Process/Valve1" that determines its location in the tree. The Separation Character property (by default it is forward slash), dictates how the paths are broken up. Any missing folder nodes needed by a leaf node are created implicitly.

What are the columns names to use for the dataset ?
Can we bind it directly to the items property ?

I am fairly certain that this is a mistake in the documentation. I have been sitting here trying to get a tree to work with a dataset for 30 minutes to no avail. I think that this is just where someone copied the description from the vision Tree View component without realizing it was too different

Vision Tree View description:

The Tree View component can display any tree hierarchy. It is configured by filling in a dataset. Each column title in the dataset is a property of the Tree View Customizer.

Each row in the dataset will become a node in the tree. Each node has a path that determines its location in the tree, for example, "West Area/Process/Valve1". The Separation Character property (by default is a forward-slash), dictates how the paths are broken up. Any missing folder nodes needed by a leaf node are created implicitly. The other columns in the dataset besides "Path" are used to configure the look for the node, both when it is selected and when it is not. All column properties in the dataset are described in the Tree View Customizer.

Perspective Tree Description:

The Tree component can display any tree hierarchy. It is configured by filling in a dataset. Each row in the dataset will become a node in the tree. Each node has a path, for example, "West Area/Process/Valve1" that determines its location in the tree. The Separation Character property (by default it is forward slash), dictates how the paths are broken up. Any missing folder nodes needed by a leaf node are created implicitly.

As you can tell, the entire Perspective Tree description exists in the Vision Tree View description

Yes :cry:

Well, that’s terrible. Thanks for the report guys. I’ll get someone on it. I apologize for the misleading information there.

1 Like

This is an old thread, but I'm also having issues to bind a tag containing a dataset to the Items Property and populate the Tree View - Is this not possible?

It seems odd that one needs to do scripting to populate the Tree.

Not possible. The required structure cannot be expressed with a dataset. You will need a transform, at least.

See if my post below is of any help. In my example I'm setting up the tree for use as a navigation tree / site menu.
You will need to script the creation of the structure.