Our Ignition 8.1 system has operated extremely slow since day one. Small improvements have been made, but it's to the point where operators are extremely frustrated with the performance.
Since December 2022 we have been running 8.1.22, but we had not rolled out our clients to all areas of the plant. That has slowly taken place over this year (2023) to the point where almost all the plant is now running Ignition clients.
Today I upgraded to the latest release 8.1.32 hoping that it would resolve these performance issues, but it has not.
If I start the system up from scratch, it's extremely responsive for the first 30-40 minutes, but then it goes downhill. Navigating between our primary screens shows little issues, just a slight delay as the screen tag bindings refresh. Only when I click on an object, which then brings up that object's sidebar do we see major delays. Right now it's about 15 seconds for the sidebar to refresh. During that delay the entire client freezes.
Once the sidebar is loaded, if I click on objects that are similar (such as different analog values - temperature, pressure, flow, etc.) the sidebar contents refresh quickly. But, if the sidebar is still open and I click on a different object type (such as a motor), then I'll experience the same 15 second delay and client freeze up until it loads.
There is an "Alarm" button on each sidebar that, when pressed, opens all alarms for that specific object. The delay in opening it is upward of 30 seconds or more.
Comms on the backend are looking very good as that's where I've been concentrating (since I inherited this system!) because our PLC's were getting overloaded. That's no longer the case. This really appears to be a front end issue. If I open a designer session on the front end, the Tag Browser is almost unusable because of delays to refresh.
I have a video showing navigation between main windows and the speed they update, but then I click on an analog instrument (a tank level in this case) and it demonstrates the issue with loading the sidebar. I tried to attach, but it's too big for the 8M maximum. I'll see if I can get a dropbox link available.
In the meantime, I am attaching a view photos of the client diagnostics pulled up. You can see the gap in data logging caused by the freeze up delay when opening the sidebar (IMG_7802). Image IMG_7809 is the same logging after opening up the alarm page which is an even longer delay. It's quite bad.