FSQL Remote running

I was wondering, if you have a server running FSQL, besides the fact of doing a remote desktop to the server, are there other ways to run the application, alter the application, or view the data from the application from a remote instance?

I know using FSQL on a desktop unit I can attach to the KepServer but from what I gather all that does is run whatever application is local to that instance of FSQL using the remote application of Kepserver. Is this correct?

Have a great day.

Oh one other question I just thought of. This pertains to SQL itself. The questions are:

1. We have been talking about these log files. I was wondering if views also adjust this log file?
  2. I am wanting to do a time sync, in my origional way I was actually using an SQL table so as the clock was updating so was the size of this log file. What options are there to sync up the PLC clock with the SQL clock, Can I do it with SQL Tags, or would a script be better,

Thanks again.

The FactorySQL Frontend can connect to and configure a FactorySQL service remotely. Under Settings->Service Settings, uncheck “Only allow connections from the local machine”. Specify a port number to communicate over (default 5505). You can optionally set a username and password.

On the client machine, go to Settings->Connection Settings. Add a new connection. You’ll need to specify: Server address, Port, User Name, and Password. The “Test Connection” button will attempt to communicate with the remote FactorySQL Service.

To actually connect, go to Connection->Connect to Service->Choose_your_connection. Alternatively, you can connect or disconnect on the top right menu directly above the tabs.

As an aside, the default connection that is automatically set up for you connects to Localhost:5505 with no username/password.

About your other questions:

1. SELECT queries do not normally get logged.
  2. Using a DB->OPC group would probably be the best way to synch the PLC clock. I would set up an action item that selects the hour and one for the minute, then have them write to the appropriate PLC registers. I would set the group to run at a slow rate (every hour or less). This will not affect the SQL database log file because you’re only reading from the database.

You shouldn’t be thinking about the log file when designing something that synchronizes your PLC clock. Managing the log file settings is an important, but separate consideration. Once set up properly, the system won’t keep an INSERT/UPDATE log on that database OR you’ll have the maximum size bound so it doesn’t get out of control.

Just to be clear on the remote frontend connection and how it affects the opc server: when you connect the frontend to a remote service, it is virtually the same as if you had gone to that machine and opened the frontend there. That is, you see the OPC servers of the remote machine (as well as the system settings, the project, etc.).

All OPC browsing goes through the service. Thus you’re always browsing the OPC server local to where the service is installed (not, of course, if you actually have the service set up to communicate with a remote server).

As for the SQL server log file… it keeps coming up when it really doesn’t have to be an issue. I know this post has already been referenced a number of times (http://www.inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679)
But really you should just put it into the simple recovery mode and forget about it.

Regards,