Gateway 8.0.17 faulted


Can anyone help me with this one?

Redundant gateway, both are faulted.

Unclear. Share the entire wrapper log with support.

Share what else might have changed. Deserialization errors are typically caused by module removals or attempts to restore a backup from a newer system.

wrapper.log (7.9 MB)

The problem happened when I was restoring a database to a remote computer.

  • The restoration process got interrupted by a network problem. Probably caused by overload, I noticed the NIC was 98% at the time.
  • the same network problem made my OPC connections fault and I could not restore them.
  • Finally I restarted the server and I got the FAULTED message.

Any other file that I can share?

No. There’s some truly evil badness going on there. I don’t understand how a PostgreSQL object instance could have gotten serialized into the internal DB, but it certainly cannot be extracted. On top of that, there’s an infinite recursion bug in the OPC stack somewhere. You really need IA support to look over your shoulder. Or revert to your last know good gateway backup and wash your hands of the situation.

And it’s an end-of-life Ignition version. ):

Thank you very much! I am on the phone with tech support now.

1 Like

Lots of issues in the logs, but ultimately the startup failure looks like this:

| java.lang.NullPointerException: null
| 	at java.base/<init>(Unknown Source)
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.xmlserialization.deserialization.XMLDeserializer.deserialize(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.db.namedquery.NamedQueryExecutor.lambda$initializeQueries$0(
| 	at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source)
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.db.namedquery.NamedQueryExecutor.initializeQueries(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.db.namedquery.NamedQueryExecutor.initializeQueries(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.db.namedquery.NamedQueryExecutor.<init>(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.db.namedquery.GatewayNamedQueryManager$NamedQueryLifeCycle.onStartup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycle.onStartup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycle.startup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory$1.maybeStartLifecycle(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory$1.lambda$projectAdded$0(
| 	at java.base/java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Unknown Source)
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory$1.projectAdded(
| 	at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source)
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.project.ProjectLifecycleFactory.onStartup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycle.startup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.db.namedquery.GatewayNamedQueryManager.onStartup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.lifecycle.AbstractLifecycle.startup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.startupInternal(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.redundancy.RedundancyManagerImpl.startup(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.initRedundancy(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.gateway.IgnitionGateway.lambda$initInternal$0(
| 	at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.execution.impl.BasicExecutionEngine$
| 	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$ Source)
| 	at java.base/ Source)
| 	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ Source)
| 	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
| 	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$ Source)
| 	at java.base/ Source)

Did you restore a gateway backup from a newer version of Ignition?

Not sure if you were able to get this resolved already, but as Kevin was alluding to this error typically occurs after moving named queries from 8.1.7 or later to a pre-8.1.7 gateway. To resolve this you can either upgrade your gateways, or delete any named queries that use .sql files instead of .bin. In your case, it looks like the last project being loaded was SPREE_H6_LSS, so I would start with named queries in that project.


Thank you very much all of you. I have had help from the local tech support. I must say they were superb and brought both gateways back to life.

You guys here also helped a lot. Your messages were spot-on. I have been importing named queries developed on 8.1 from other projects into this one. Those queries were removed and then rewritten in the 8.0.17 designer.

The system is up and running.

Hi Kevin.

Thank you! The tech support helped me remove some queries that I imported from a system running on 8.1.7.

Hi. Spot on! Thank you!