Gateway backup is huge

Actually we use Java 1.8.0_66.

Did you upgrade to Java 8 update 66 when you upgraded to 7.7.6 or were you already running version 8 update 66?

I know when I loaded update 66 on my test box and tried to launch Ignition the gateway wouldn’t start. Put update 51 back on and it started up fine. I’m working to see which update(s) past 51 cause issues so we can try to stay close to latest version.

[quote=“jstrauch”]Did you upgrade to Java 8 update 66 when you upgraded to 7.7.6 or were you already running version 8 update 66?

I know when I loaded update 66 on my test box and tried to launch Ignition the gateway wouldn’t start. Put update 51 back on and it started up fine. I’m working to see which update(s) past 51 cause issues so we can try to stay close to latest version.[/quote]

Do you have logs from this? I’m not aware of any issues with 8u66

I’m working on a test box which I can put update 66 back on and get the logs. In all honesty I didn’t do a lot of investigation into why the gateway didn’t start just got the error message after putting update 66 on the machine. That is why I took it off right away since that was the only change made.

Figured out what is happening using the logs. For some reason my installation is looking specifically for Java 8 update 51 when launching. Will change that and it should eliminate the issue.

When will the fix get released in an update? I am working on a system that I send updates to the customer frequently. It has been a pain to send them out.

Any GWBKs over 1 gig do not restore.

The tool I have had little luck with. So I end up downloading all the individual components needed and reloading those to the GW (projects, images, and tags). That gives us a fresh system to do a full gateway backup of.

Running 7.7.5.

Hopefully this information can help others out there having issues with the backups getting way to large and the shrink tool not working properly. We were getting an error with the shrink tool concerning the Data Cache size limit being exceeded when trying to shrink the internal database. In this folder c:\Program Files\ Inductive Automation\Ignition\data\db there are 3 main files the shrink tool works with. The major pain one is the settings.lobs file (for us on 1 server it was over 1.2GB in size) which is what was causing the shrink tool not to work and throw the exception error.

Using Notepad++ I edited the line SET FILES CACHE SIZE in the settings.script file in the same folder mentioned above. The default value is 10,000 and I changed that to 1,000,000 and saved it. Then I ran the shrink tool again and this time no error messages and the settings.lobs file was shrank down to ~350 MB from the 1.2GB it was. Afterwards the gateway was started successfully. Don’t forget to go back and change the settings.script file back to 10,000 from the 1,000,000 to get it to work.

Fix for the internal gateway is not a part of the 7.7.6 release. We are doing thorough testing to verify there are not unintended consequences and will update when we have more info. This is a significant issue from our perspective, and we want to make sure we get it right.

In the meantime, the current version of the shrink tool automatically alters file cache size during shrinking. There have not been any changes in 7.7.6 that would prevent it from functioning.

The tool can’t connect to the DB if Ignition went through some form of dirty shutdown, so try doing a clean shutdown (via gcu or the stop script) and run the tool again. If there is no .lck file in the data folder, it should be able to connect.

Shrink Tool 1.1.7

So I used the backup tool and the GW actually got larger.

Can you provide any additional info?

Some info that may help us figure out what happened –

What, specifically, got larger?
What was the size before/after?
Did the tool complete successfully?

I have not yet seen anything like that when the tool completes successfully.

We had a gwbk increase 100 MBs.

I had two gateways I ran it on. One it worked fine and lowered. I can try it again.

it just seemed strange it would do that.

Hey all,

Just as a heads up – we have posted a beta version for Ignition 7.7.7. This version includes stability changes aimed at our internal database, including a permanent solution for internal db/backup growth.

For those waiting on a 7.8 version, we are moving toward a 7.8.1 release in the near future (release candidate is up), which has a number of bug fixes and small additions on top of 7.8. Once 7.8.1 is released, we hope to quickly post a 7.8.2 beta that includes the internal db changes. Can’t offer an exact timeline, but we are trying to get you a polished update sooner rather than later.

Feel free to test and let us know how it works!

inductiveautomation.com/downloads/beta

This is awesome news. Thanks for the diligent work on getting this completed.