Gateway Compatability Matrix

Is there a matrix outlining minimum hardware and software (OS) requirements for the Gateway?
Is it OK to have the Gateway run on a Windows 7 Home premium box?

Specifically, we have one Mission Critical application with performance issues (open for comment on that one). One Gateway sits on the Win7 Home Premium PC, another Gateway sits on a Phoenix Industrial brick running WinXP, but the brick’s CPU is almost as 100% utilization all the time.

Can you change the win7 OSs?
If so try Ubuntu.

On more then one occasion I have found things work faster on linux boxes then the same configuration/application does on the win box.

As for a matrix, there isn’t one because “it all depends”
*how many tags?
*how often are they polled?
*how often do they change?
*is the history db on the same box?
*what other apps are running on it?

Given that the brick is running at 100%, what processes are using the CPU?
What is the load like on the home edition PC?

Also, what specs are on the brick?

The service hogging the CPU on the brick PC is Ignition Gateway.

[quote=“Robert”]Can you change the win7 OSs?
If so try Ubuntu.

On more then one occasion I have found things work faster on linux boxes then the same configuration/application does on the win box.

As for a matrix, there isn’t one because “it all depends”
*how many tags?
*how often are they polled?
*how often do they change?
*is the history db on the same box?
*what other apps are running on it?

Given that the brick is running at 100%, what processes are using the CPU?
What is the load like on the home edition PC?[/quote]

I don't have that info at the moment, but this is what I am getting at. If specs are critical, should there not be a matrix for minimum requirements?

Well, If you’re using a workstation for a critical application… Yeah.
Don’t :smiley:

I don't have that info at the moment, but this is what I am getting at. If specs are critical, should there not be a matrix for minimum requirements?[/quote]

Taken from IA's web site:

[quote]Requirements
Java SE 6 (server)
Java SE 5 or 6 (client)
1024 MB RAM
1GB free HD space
(requirements vary by usage)[/quote]

It's like eating rhubarb, just because you can do it doesn't mean that you should. :wink:

I ask for the specs of the brick because, along with Robert's requests for "What are you running?" and "How much are you looking to do?", we can give you a better idea as to what you need for your task.

I suspect that the brick has 1g of RAM, likely to be a single-core processor and a minimal amount or storage. maybe okay for running a client, but not a server.

Originally we ran the specs by the ‘guys’ at inductive and they thought the brick should be OK, but turns out it is not.

As the guys on this thread have already stated, it’s important to know how big the system is. How many devices do you have (and what kind), how many tags, and what rate you’re trying to do stuff at. It’s very possible that your machines do satisfy the minimum requirements, but the minimum isn’t exactly valid for very long.

Now, I’ll completely agree with you that we should have better information available to make this less foggy. Really that would come in the form of some sort of benchmark, that basically breaks down how many reasources all the main pieces take. We’re well over due to make this, and hopefully can get to it in the next few months.

Your very original question was whether it was ok to run on home premium. The answer to this is “definitely”. There isn’t much that the OS contributes or detracts from the running of Ignition. Some guys here might disagree a tad, but I suspect what they have in mind applies more to very high performance systems. As everyone here has implied, more important than the OS is the hardware. You didn’t mention whether the Home Premium box was also having a problem with performance, or if it’s only the brick.

Regards,