Gateway Script variable not defined

I am making a timer script to record to a database at specific times when certain tag values are high. I am calculating a value and can get the value to print in the script console, but when I try to run the script in the gateway I get "line 12, in NameError: name 'gal' is not defined". I have an if statement that sets the value 'gal' to 0 when none of my tags are high, and if any are high it adds to itself (gal += calculation). Everything I have tried to troubleshoot the issue has given me back a value, but actually running the script does not.
Any ideas as to the cause?

Post the script and format it with the </> button

from datetime import datetime
Filter1Backwashing = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]MainBuilding/Bits/Unit1BackwashInitiateRun"])[0].value
Filter2Backwashing = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]MainBuilding/Bits/Unit2BackwashInitiateRun"])[0].value
dt = datetime.now()
date = dt.strftime("%m/%d/%Y")
time = dt.strftime("%H:%M:%S")
if Filter1Backwashing == 0 and Filter2Backwashing == 0:
	gal = 0
if Filter1Backwashing > 0:
	dailyInstance = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]MainBuilding/Control/Backwash1DailyInstance"])[0].value
	loh_gpm = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]Flow/MainFilter1_LOH_GPM/ActualValeu"])[0].value
	gal += ((loh_gpm * 5)/60)
	ntu_before = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]MainBuilding/Control/Finished1NTU_AtBackwashStart"])[0].value
	loh_before = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]MainBuilding/Control/LOH1Before"])[0].value
	rewash_time = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]MainBuilding/Control/RewashTime"])[0].value
	ntu = system.tag.readBlocking(["[default]Turbidity/MainFilteredWater1Turbidity/ActualValue"])[0].value

query = "INSERT INTO Backwash1 (BackwashGallons, NTU_Before, LOH_Before, RewashTime, NTU) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?)
	args= [loh_gpm, ntu_before, loh_before, rewash_time, ntu]
	system.db.runPrepUpdate("INSERT INTO Backwash1 (Date, Time, DailyInstance, Backwash_GPM, BackwashGallons, NTU_Before, LOH_Before, RewashTime, NTU) Values(?,?,?,?,?)",[date, time, dailyInstance, loh_gpm, gal, ntu_before, loh_before, rewash_time, ntu],'Wilderness_WTP_SCADA')

You are tying to add to gal withoit defining it first. Where is it supposed to come from?

3 Likes
if Filter1Backwashing == 0 and Filter2Backwashing == 0:
	gal = 0

If this condition isn't met, your variable named gal never gets defined so later when you try to add to it, it throws you the error saying it's not defined.
You need to have a way de define it when it doesn't meet your first condition.

So how can I define it without my defining it overriding the count?

You could make a tag.

1 Like

Do you have a tag for backwash gallons?

1 Like

Well that would get me around that. Thanks.

Let's clean this up a bit

# read mulitple tags at once for much better performance
filterPaths = ["[default]MainBuilding/Bits/Unit1BackwashInitiateRun","[default]MainBuilding/Bits/Unit2BackwashInitiateRun"]

backwashingFilters = system.tag.readBlocking(filterPaths)
Filter1Backwashing = backwashingFilters[0].value
Filter2Backwashing = backwashingFilters[1].value

dt = system.date.now()
date = system.date.format(dt, 'MM/dd/YYYY')
time = system.date.format(dt, 'HH:mm:ss')

# setup a default value for 'gal' variable
gal = 0

# Override the 'gal' variable when appropriate and run query
if Filter1Backwashing > 0:
	readPaths = [
		"[default]MainBuilding/Control/Backwash1DailyInstance", "[default]Flow/MainFilter1_LOH_GPM/ActualValue", "[default]MainBuilding/Control/Finished1NTU_AtBackwashStart",
		"[default]MainBuilding/Control/LOH1Before", "[default]MainBuilding/Control/RewashTime", "[default]Turbidity/MainFilteredWater1Turbidity/ActualValue"
	]
	readValues = system.tag.readBlocking(readPaths)
	dailyInstance = readValues[0].value
	loh_gpm = readValues[1].value
	ntu_before = readValues[2].value
	loh_before = readValues[3].value
	rewash_time = readValues[4].value
	ntu = readValues[5].value

query = "INSERT INTO Backwash1 (BackwashGallons, NTU_Before, LOH_Before, RewashTime, NTU) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?)"
	args= [loh_gpm, ntu_before, loh_before, rewash_time, ntu]
	system.db.runPrepUpdate(
		query,
		[date, time, dailyInstance, loh_gpm, gal, ntu_before, loh_before, rewash_time, ntu],
		'Wilderness_WTP_SCADA'
	)

YMMV since I don't have the full picture of the situation.

Thanks, I was looking to have gal increment to record the number of gallons for end of cycle and have a running total for the number of gallons used during the cycle. Looks like it might be easier to use a tag to keep up with it as I as trying to not have gal = 0 anywhere that would override the count while in process.