Gateway service won't start on CentOS

Hello. I’ve installed Ignition 8.0.3 on Centos server and I can’t get the gateway service to start. It appears to be permissions issue but I’m attempting start the service as root. Here’s part of the message I get from journalctl…any insight is appreciated.

– Unit Ignition-Gateway.service has begun starting up.
Sep 09 14:16:14 PCNC110AIGTG01 ignition.sh[2696]: runuser: may not be used by non-root users
Sep 09 14:16:14 PCNC110AIGTG01 systemd[1]: Ignition-Gateway.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Sep 09 14:16:14 PCNC110AIGTG01 systemd[1]: Failed to start Ignition-Gateway.

Try opening the ignition.sh file - I believe the default setup tries to run the gateway service as the literal user ignition - so you can either substitute a different username, or ensure ignition has the appropriate permissions/group memberships.

I put the ignition user in the wheel group and in the sudoers file I let the wheel group run all commands without a password. After that didn’t work I changed the RUN_AS_USER in ignition.sh to root and am still having the same problem. I’ve installed on Ubuntu before without issue so maybe there’s a nuance in CentOS that I’m missing?

It might be SELinux…

Same behavior after disabling SELinux but thanks for the suggestion. I’ll poking at this later week.

I’d find the systemd unit file in /etc/systemd/system/ or wherever it got installed and check to see if there’s a User= entry.

1 Like

Thanks @Kevin.Herron! In the file /etc/systemd/system/Ignition-Gateway.service I set User=root and was able to start the service.

Everyone else, thanks for helping me narrow this down. I would have mentioned you by name but since I’m a new user the system won’t let me. :grin: Thanks again!

4 Likes