GatewayException Error code = 503

My Local Gateway Crushed just like that
Log

com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayException: Post Error, error code = 503
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:341)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.newGatewayException(GatewayInterface.java:337)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.getResponse(GatewayInterface.java:438)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:273)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.sendMessage(GatewayInterface.java:268)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.client.gateway_interface.GatewayInterface.invoke(GatewayInterface.java:917)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.getCurrentUser(IgnitionDesigner.java:1642)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner.handleSave(IgnitionDesigner.java:1240)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler.handleSaveAction(IgnitionDesigner.java:2646)
at com.inductiveautomation.ignition.designer.IgnitionDesigner$Handler$5.actionPerformed(IgnitionDesigner.java:2234)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at com.jidesoft.plaf.basic.BasicJideButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.9 (b2020021812)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.5

It recover itself after few seconds

Your gateway responded with an invalid HTTP response code, so the local designer threw that error. You can check if there's anything in the gateway logs at the same time period (https://support.inductiveautomation.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/119/0/obtaining-ignition-logs), but it could be a variety of things, including problems outside of Ignition; ie, a brief network hiccup.

Thanks @PGriffith, My intention with this post was like reporting a problem. I’ll check the logs, but what’s really surprising that this happened in a localhost.
Regards

I don’t mean to hijack, but don’t think this deserves another thread…
I just got this error as well on one* (that I know about) Perspective workstation client when we rebooted the Ignition gateway service. Is this normal? I would have thought it would act like Vision does and just sit there waiting for the connection to re-establish? The operators couldn’t do anything about it as it’s a touchscreen with no keyboard. I had to remote into it and kill Workstation and relaunch.
PS this is v8.1.5

It should unless you have redundancy or fallback redirect enabled.

The only way I think you might get to a state where you see a 503 in workstation is if the page is (re)loaded while the gateway is restarting. Workstation won't do this on its own unless it has to once the gateway comes back up and the old session couldn't persist the restart.

1 Like