Getting Tag Browser Tree to work with UDTs

I am currently trying to get the Tag Brwoser Tree to only display the UDTs. I have tried to change the root source to match "[provider]types/" but it doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

Where was that documented?

It is actually [Provider]_types_/ with underscores, but was styled in his post.

Don't know about documentation, but it copies it with the tag path from the designer tag browser.

Vision or Perspective?

Generally, you would treat them similarly to folders. Are you trying to only show UDT's? Do you want UDT Instances or UDT Definitions?

I think the tag browsers filter out the definitions themselves.

The workaround I found, for now, was to set up a script that makes a list with all UDTs, converts the list to a dataset, and use it in combination with the Tree View component.

1 Like

If what you are trying to present is a view of the UDT Definitions then, I believe your way is the only way.

If however you want to show UDT Instances, then you can do that with the Tag Browse Tree.

In the filterTag extension function use this script. It will filter out all tags except those which are UDT instances, and Atomic tags that are children of a UDT Instance.

NOTE: This assumes a Tag Browse Tree in Vision

from com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.tags.config.types import TagObjectType

if tag.hasChildren() or tag.objectType == TagObjectType.UdtInstance:
	return True

if tag.objectType == TagObjectType.AtomicTag:
	parentConfig = system.tag.getConfiguration(tag.fullPath.parentPath,False)
	if parentConfig[0]['tagType'] == TagObjectType.UdtInstance:
		return True

return False

I suppose it is also possible to browse forward and determine if a folder has any children that should be displayed, effectively eliminating "Empty Folders". Beware though, you're calling a potentially long running task here so the result may be less than desired. If you have a moderately large tag structure, you should almost certainly off load this to a back ground thread. As it is, it will lock up the GUI until the filter is completed (I have around 30K tags and it took ~2s). Basically, I'm too lazy to do it right now.

###################
#Caution: This is a potentially long running task that will block the gui thread while
#it executes.

from com.inductiveautomation.ignition.common.tags.config.types import TagObjectType

if tag.objectType == TagObjectType.Folder:
	results = system.tag.browse(tag.fullPath,{'tagType':'UdtInstance','recursive':True}).getResults()
	if results:
		return True
	return False

if tag.objectType == TagObjectType.UdtInstance:
	return True

if tag.objectType == TagObjectType.AtomicTag:
	parentConfig = system.tag.getConfiguration(tag.fullPath.parentPath,False)
	if parentConfig[0]['tagType'] == TagObjectType.UdtInstance:
		return True

return False