Graphics Programs

What are other people using to create the graphics objects for your GUIs?

I have used Serif DrawPlus for most of my objects (similar to InkScape), but some of my objects are pretty tedious to draw this way, plus they already exist in AutoCad anyway. I have tried a few DXF-PNG conversions, but with pretty miserable results. Anyone have experince with doing this?

I use Paint.net, or Inkscape. To get images from pdfs, i just print screen, then edit the image to fit. Works really nice, super easy. Let me know what you find

If you email me a few .dxf files I’ll see what I can do for you. For screen captures I’d recommend a program called SnagIt. Then you could use any image editor. You might also dabble with pdf conversions.

na boeger AT inductive automation DOT com, no spaces.

Looking to the horizon, native 2D rendering support, scheduled for FPMI version 3.4, may solve this problem. Specifically, it may be SVG based and DXF->SVG conversion utilities exist.

I have been using Paint.net since you posted about it a while ago, and I agree, it works great for creating a transparent effect.

I worked a little more with the autocad-png conversion during a flight last night, and found something that kind of works for the time being: In Autocad, I create an object selection with a fence, and copy/paste it to Paint.net. From there, I use filtering, the magic wand, and "crop to selection" to create a decent png of my line drawing.

The disadvantage is that the line width doesn't carry over very well, and within Autocad I have to set a very wide line style. It'll get me by for now, but there has to be a better way.

[quote="nathan"]If you email me a few .dxf files I'll see what I can do for you. For screen captures I'd recommend a program called SnagIt. Then you could use any image editor. You might also dabble with pdf conversions.

na boeger AT inductive automation DOT com, no spaces.

Looking to the horizon, native 2D rendering support, scheduled for FPMI version 3.4, may solve this problem. Specifically, it may be SVG based and DXF->SVG conversion utilities exist.[/quote]

I'll email one in a few minutes. To envision what the drawing represents, imagine a chain conveyor that curves throughout the plant, carrying parts through a variety of processes, such as a wash booth, a sandblasting station, and a paint booth. From the overhead perspective, this is simply a line that snakes through the plant. But, although vector drawing programs are apparently great at 2D drawings where special effects are needed, they just aren't very good at line drawings. I thought I would be able to export my DXF as an image, and let Inkscape trace the line, but that didn't work either.

Anyway, take a look and see what you can figure out. Thanks!