Group Children To Use Parent Dynamic Property

I am building some new screens with version 7.3 and I just came across something I think would be useful.

If you have many shapes grouped together, then it would be nice if you could assign a dynamic property to the group but then be able to use that group dynamic property when using the style customizer on an individual element within that group.

This way you don’t have to assign a dynamic property to every element within the group, you could just assign it once to the group itself. Does that make sense?

Duff - You can add dynamic properties to grouped shapes. Your feature request sounds like allowing styles to be driven from a parent’s property. Sounds like a good idea to me.

In the meantime, you can group your components and add the “parent” driving property. Add a similar dynamic property on each child component that you are animating with styles and bind that to the parents property. This will achieve the same effect, but takes a few extra steps.

This will work with templating your component on a custom palette. Clear as mud?

Haha, yes… very clear :stuck_out_tongue:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have a group with 50 or so shapes in it so giving each a dynamic property after the fact is a pain. If I were smart I would have done it once and copied and pasted but you know how that goes… Hindsight is always 20/20 :wink:

I hear you!

FYI - Templated components is the next scheduled major feature - that would allow you to make changes to the master and have it propagate to the children.

The vessel with the pestle has the pellet with the poison… or was that the flagon with the dragon?

NOTE: for those who don’t recall the quote I so deliberately mangled, it was from “The Court Jester” with Danny Kaye (1955)

Here’s a youtube clip. One of my favorite movies! :thumb_right:

Never seen it, but that clip is great - I’ll have to give it a watch!

[quote=“nathan”]I hear you!

FYI - Templated components is the next scheduled major feature - that would allow you to make changes to the master and have it propagate to the children.[/quote]

Any idea what the timeframe is for template components? We have a major project starting early next year and we are hoping that they will be available by then.

Thanks,

Dan

We’re shooting for early 1st quarter 2012