Grouping components

I’m trying to group a bunch of components and the container that hold them. I can group the contents of the container. This creates a new “group” item in the container and places the items below it creating a new level. Not what I want.

Has something changes in 7.3.1? I’ve done this before.

Yes, it has changed in 7.3.x. We have groups and containers now. A container can be resized without affecting the components inside of it. The group does resize the components inside of it. If you select multiple components and make a group it is not a container. In that case, you can drag in the container from the misc tab of the component palette.

We are working on improving this area so stay tuned.

It looks like the group doesn’t actually show up in the property path.

Is there any way to change a container into a group or a group into a container?

I now have a group that I want to act like a container, but I can’t ungroup it because it breaks binding dependencies. And I’d rather not have to recreate those dependencies.

[quote=“Robert”]Is there any way to change a container into a group or a group into a container?

I now have a group that I want to act like a container, but I can’t ungroup it because it breaks binding dependencies. And I’d rather not have to recreate those dependencies.[/quote]

There isn’t a way to do that right now, but we are working on it. In the mean time, if you want to change the size of the group without changing the size of the components, double-click on one of the components and then move it around. The red outline (the group) will change shape accordingly. Also, you can then paste other components into the group in that mode.

1 Like

Robert,

Good news… You are not lone ranger on this. I have a screen I will be re-doing myself :blush:

What makes it more annoying is must of the components are grouped but some of them are not.

This project has been upgraded from 7.2.x so I guess I could go back, fix it up and then reimport it :bleath:

edit: need more smilies

How about this one?

And if that isn’t enough for you, being able to right-click and convert a group into a container is in version 7.3.3. Whenever that may come out…

I have a similar issue - I have a group with some bindings, and I want to add components. However I can’t do anything with it except resize the whole group or move existing components around. I even tried removing the bindings from the components but still can’t ungroup. BTW I do not get the red border mentioned in an earlier post, and cannot change the size of the group without changing the size of the components.
It is possible I am simply not doing something right - I am quite new to Ignition.

Ian

If you want to change the size of the group without changing the size of the components, double-click on one of the components in the group and then you can move it around. The red outline (the group) will change shape accordingly. Also, you can then paste other components into the group in that mode.

Question: I’m running 7.2.8, and am considering upgrading to the latest. But, because my customer uses a wide variety of monitors, from new widescreens to 1995-era crts, I use scripting to resize and move components around dynamically based on the aspect ratio.

Looking at the above comments, will this approach continue to work?

If your upgrading to the latest you should be looking at 7.4.
I haven’t played with groups and containers in 7.4 yet.

I think if you just moving stuff around it should be “OK”. Groups from 7.2 stay as groups in 7.3 so a strait upgrade should be seamless. Where you get funkiness if when you start modifying what was upgraded.