Has anyone had luck restoring a 8.3+ server from a 8.1 backup?

I took a backup of a gateway 8.1.42 with the intention of restoring it onto an 8.3.4 upon restoring I noticed that when trying to connect to a perspective URL it would get stuck on initializing client and gave a WebSocket error in the web console. the odd thing was that I was able to open perspective projects inside the designer.

I updated the server to 8.3.7 hoping it was an error with 8.3.4 but the issue persisted. After a long time of investigating, I ruled out the server that ignition was hosted on being the issue.

as a last attempt I tried to delete ignition and reinstall it on the server. however, before I restored the gateway backup I tested if I was able to connect to a perspective URL and it was successful.

just to rule out the possibility of a corrupted .gwbk file before I restored, I took a new backup. upon restoring the issue immediately returned.

while I haven't tried restoring an 8.1 server with the .gwbk I am concerned at the idea that I might not have an option to restore the server if something were to happen to it.

First thing I would try is restoring your 8.1.42 backup to the latest 8.1.x version. Then back that up and restore that backup to 8.3.x.

What do the gateway logs say? As well as the wrapper.log file say? They should give some indication. Also is it all pages of the project or only some of them. If you make a new blank page in the project can you launch that.

The migration guide recommends upgrading in place from 8.1 to 8.3 rather than fresh installing 8.3 and then restoring so that would be my first try. Get the backup restored on the original version and then try upgrading that.

that's the really odd thing the only error is in the web console in the logs and in the diagnostic bundle there wasn't anything that appeared to be related.

I forgot to mention but another odd thing is that I set up redundancy to another server and when it would fail over to the backup it would successfully connect to the URL. theoretically the backup should be a mirror copy of the master yet the backup works but the master doesn't.

I'm trying to get the backup onto an 8.1.42 server to see what the behavior is.

There is an 8.1.55 version. I haven't used an 8.1.x after 8.1.46 so I don't know what all changes.

Also, if you have a spare 8.1.x server where it's working after a restore you can try upgrading that one in place and see if the problem happens.

I tried to install the backup on an 8.1.42 server the same version it was taken from and upon restore the gateway home page gives me an error for redirecting to many times. I can connect to the server through the designer, but my hypothesis was correct that I seem to be unable to restore from our main server...

since the redundant backup works even when set to independent, I'm going to try to make a backup of that and restore from it.

this is incredibly stupid but the solution that worked was:

on master server restore to non-functional .gwbk -> connect redundant backup server-> sync so backup server is a copy of master server -> create .gwbk from backup server -> restore master from .gwbk from backup server -> functional server