It is possible but has anyone actually done it? How did it perform?
“CompactLogix 5480 Controller offers the benefits of Logix control with Windows®- based computing. With a commercially available CPU and a Windows 10 IoT Enterprise operating system running in parallel to the Logix control engine, it provides a high-performance architecture with the ability to run third-party applications.”
- Logix control with Windows 10 IoT Enterprise OS running in parallel
- Provides the ability to run third-party applications on the PLC.
- 20MB PLC memory, 16GB on OS
- Supports up to 31 local Compact 5000 I/O modules
- Safety: N/A
- 3 Communication Ports: 2 ports configurable for Dual IP or DLR (PLC) and 1 GbE Port (OS)
- 1 DisplayPort: supports standard converters for HDMI, DVI, VGA displays
- 3 USB Ports: 1 Device Port (Logix), 2 USB 3.0 Host Ports (OS)