Help Needed: Mapping Modbus RTU Tags from Ironhorse VFD to Ignition Vision Client 8.1

I'm contacting the community for guidance on integrating a Modbus RTU connection between Ignition 8.1 and an Ironhorse VFD (Direct Logic).

Current Setup:

• I can successfully connect to the VFD using the Ironhorse VFD Suite interface for monitoring and control purposes (start/stop drive).
  • I aim to map relevant Modbus RTU tags from the VFD to Ignition Vision for visualization and potential control within the Ignition environment.

Specific Questions:

1. Modbus RTU Configuration:
  • Can someone provide insights into the typical Modbus RTU settings required for Ignition to communicate with Ironhorse VFDs? This includes slave address, baud rate, parity, and stop bits. Are there any known compatibility considerations or specific settings for Ironhorse devices?
  1. Tag Mapping:
  • I've attached a screenshot illustrating the available tags within the Ironhorse VFD Suite interface. Please advise on the appropriate Modbus addresses or data types (e.g., holding registers, coils) for mapping these tags to Ignition.

Additional Information:

• Ignition Version: 8.1
  • Ironhorse VFD Model :GS23X-43PO

I've attached the screenshots above to illustrate the tags available within the Ironhorse VFD Suite interface.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide! I appreciate your time and expertise.

If you're using a PLC to communicate with it already, I would let the PLC do all the communications and then just pull the data from the PLC. If not, you're going to need to use the serial support module and the Modbus RTU driver. You're showing the Modbus RTU over TCP or the Modbus TCP drivers of which neither will work unless you're using an Modbus RTU to TCP converter in between. You'll also need to check if your serial port on the computer/server supports RS-485 as not all ports support this protocol.

Edit: Looking at the page for the IronHorse VFDs, it looks like there's a Modbus TCP card available, and it kinda looks like maybe you're already using it per your first screenshot. If that's the case, you're going to have to play with the zero based addressing and word swapping. A starting point for your OPC item path would be: ns=1;s=[Iron Horse RTU]1.HR785 for your output current.

1 Like