HELP :( Unable to get the view config

Hi community,

I'm encountering a problem in Ignition Designer – I can't access views. Initially, I can open it, but upon closing and reopening, I receive the following error message:

ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: Unable to get the view config: View config is undefined.
caused by Exception: Unable to get the view config: View config is undefined.

I've tried a restore using an old backup, but to no avail. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Ignition, cleared the cache, yet the error persists. Any insights or suggestions on resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Logfile Wireshark.pcapng (385.7 KB)

I tried to capture the communication between the designer and the gateway but couldnt find anything.

I had the same problem with a new empty project on the same gateway.

Check files here
C:\Program Files\Inductive Automation\Ignition\data\projects\PROJECTNAME\com.inductiveautomation.perspective\views

copy the view.json file and share it

TEST.zip (13.4 KB)

I uploaded one of the views I have.

i dont really see any problems opening these

what version are you on? im on 8.1.28

have you tried restarting you pc? xd

I am using 8.1.32
I encounter this issue exclusively on this particular gateway. When utilizing the views on other gateways, I do not experience the same problem.

The gateway is hosted on a server. I'm concerned that restarting the server might cause potential disruptions or failures. :grimacing:

try opening the logs in the designer (help => diagnostics => consolelog) and open the view and post a bigger error log.

But If you see nothing else in the logs,
then i suggest you contact support, and take some backups

Hello,

This is occurring regularly in 8.1.38. Designer restart and gateway restarts do not seem to remedy the issue.

Thanks,

Frank

I've had this same issue for a while now. I created a ticket and was told it's a known issue but they are having trouble replicating so they can't narrow down the root cause.

For me, performing a save will sometimes make it open. Also, restarting the Perspective module might help, but I don't know what ill effects that may have.

FWIW, I downloaded a copy of the designer launcher from the gateway which is a slightly different version and I have not had it happen again. I wondering if the designer launcher version vs. gateway version plays a role?

Frank

coworker had the same issue.

Windows 11, gateway and designer on the same box.

design launcher was version 8.1.15 and the gateway is 8.1.39.

As suggested by franklepkowski, updated the design launcher and the problem seems to have gone away.........

regards
Dave