Help using DeviationRenderer @ Chart

Hello guys, newbie reporting in after a lot of stalking and learning here in the forums, so thanks in advance for everyone willing to help :slight_smile:

The goal here is the following: I have a normal chart with 2 y axis where I plot two types of process information (temperature and rotation) from both a setpoint and actual (live) information, comparing the lines ā€˜in the same canvasā€™. Iā€™d like to add a ā€œtoleranceā€ for the setpoints - and I could do it adding new datasets (which I think itā€™s not the optimal way).

What I found is the JFreeChartā€™s DeviationRenderer class (http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/api/javadoc/org/jfree/chart/renderer/xy/DeviationRenderer.html), where I would try to use the shading effect with a specific tolerance value (e.g.: Ā± 5ĀŗC for temperature and 100RPM for rotation) with my setpointā€™s values.

The problem here is that I tried to use this property without any success. Iā€™m not able to find the aliases of the chart items to properly use the tool.

Could anyone give me some starting tips? Thanks in advance!

My Chart

Example/Desired effect

Could you provide the script youā€™re starting from? Also, it looks like the DeviationRenderer requires a specific dataset construction which will require additional work in the configureChart scripting.

1 Like

Hey Peter, thanks for your time.

I tried so many stuff with my chart that it broke down and I had to start from scratch. I have nothing ā€˜usefulā€™ right now.

My chart is a ā€œregularā€ chart, using an additional X Axis (donā€™t need to use default date one and I read here that is not good to delete it) and two Y axis (temp and rotation). It is a category chart and all dataset are being rendered as ā€œCategory Line/Shape Rendererā€. I think these last configurations will not allow me to use this tool, but I was unable to plot it as I want (first image) using other typesā€¦

Thanks again!

CategoryCharts/Datasets/Renderers are fundamentally incompatible with XYCharts/Datasets/Renderers - before going any further with scripting I would recommend finding out how to get what you want onto an X-Y chart. Looking at your first screenshot, it looks like you could have the X axis be the ā€˜zoneā€™ and have a zone number as the interval, since thereā€™s no ā€˜Coaterā€™ points graphed.

1 Like

You are completely right. The ā€˜coater zoneā€™ was just a break between the machine steps. Iā€™ll try to have my chart in a compatible way first then.