High Performance SCADA alarming

I am trying to develop some company standards using the high performance HMI outlook. I can't seem to find anything related to alarm schemes related to colors and flashing/nonflashing related to either ISA/IEEE standards. Can anyone provide some guidance on some standards colors used for alarming?

1 Like

A straightforward place to start:
https://realpars.com/hmi-colors/

A good reference for high performance development:
High Performance HMI Handbook

However, I recommend that you develop such that it is easy to modify these colors and flashing/nonflashing rate. What people find to be "good" for colors and flashing is highly subjective, so you will save yourself a lot of heartache by building in the flexibility upfront.

As one who falls into the "color deficient" realm, I guess I can't "see" what the big deal with color is ( :laughing:, sorry I couldn't resist). I've found that when you focus on contrast differences primarily then color differences secondarily that people are happier.

5 Likes

Rockwell has a good style guide with RGB values here:

1 Like

ANSI/ISA-18.2-2009 (or later) Management of Alarm Systems for the Process Industries takes a deep dive into all things alarms.

Regardless, and what others have stated, develop in a fashion that allows colors to be easily changed and that is on a global scale.

1 Like