Historian Tag selection in Client

How does one select different pens from a Client? It appears to me, in the Vision environment, you must pre-build charts with the pens you want in the configurator. Then you can navigate to those charts, but the charts themselves cannot have the pens changed without using the configurator. You can make them appear/disappear and change color, but I don't see how to add/remove pens from the Client. I just watched an inductive university video titled Displaying Tag History. In that video, the instructor uses a Power Chart in Perspective and it appears that the user can select different pens on a power chart (power chart does not exist for Vision?).

Not true. You can put a Tag Browse Tree component on the window with the EasyChart and drag tags from it to the chart. You can script any manipulation you like to modify the tagPens and pens properties of the EasyChart. (Those are dataset properties, one row per pen with the configuration.) You can even customize what happens when tags are dropped on the chart.

You can automate populating the axes property, too, if needed.

(Power Chart does not exist for Vision. Nor would any sane person trade to it if they have access to the speed and configurability of the EasyChart.)

2 Likes

Hello Brad_Kloehn,
Pen for charts are typically pre-defined in the configurator. To select different pen dynamically from a client, you may need to utilize scripting or dynamic data binding technique and it has ability to dynamically add or remove pen from chart without using the configurator is limited. However, you have more flexibility, including the option to use power chart where users can select different pens dynamically.

Hope this helps.

In my experience, this is simply not true. And the simplest dynamic use case, the combination with a Tag Browse Tree, needs no scripting at all.

Download the adHoc trend tool from the Exchange and use it, or just look at the underlying code to see how to implement Phil's suggestions above.
Ignition Exchange | Inductive Automation AdHoc Trending Tool

ok I understood.