History Tag Provider Security

How can I limit access to a History Tag Provider via Roles and/or Security Level?

I noticed that when interacting with History providers, there does not seem to be any respect for the level of access that user has to the Realtime Tag Provider equivalent. I can restrict access to a tag, but the same use can go to the trending page and look at that tag’s history.

How can I limit what tags can be trended by a user short of filtering the tag provider list in Vision or Perspective?

1 Like

Did you get anywhere with this?

I'm having a similar dilemma - but on a broader sense with historical providers.

I have an Enterprise Gateway which has a centralized historian database.

Also have a Remote Site 1 Gateway. The Site 1 has 3 history providers configured - Local, Remote_Enterprise, and finally a Split Provider. The tags are configured to record history to the Split Provider.

My issue - I want to prevent users at Site 1 from accessing any other historical data other than their own. There could be multiple remote sites and all their data needs to be sent to the Enterprise Gateway but they are only allowed to view/trend their own sites data.

I'm hoping for a solution in the Gateway Configuration / Service & Zone Security but haven't figured out if this is even possible.

I know this can be accomplished via other methods like UI controls in the Designer...was hoping for more of a higher level security control in the Gateway Webpage. The goal is to prevent a bad actor with Designer access from querying other sites data via the Database Query Browser tool.

Any thoughts from the community? :slight_smile: I'm probably missing a check box somewhere....

Designer access is total access. Don't give designer access to anyone who isn't trusted with the whole gateway.

That answers my question. Thanks!