How can I make a project display correctly on an iPad 2?

Hello,

I’m having some trouble getting a project to display correctly on an iPad 2. I have tried all manner of main window sizes and various combinations of “Fit to Device” and “Start Maximised” etc. etc.

No matter what I do I cannot get it to display the entire window on the screen (which surely is the purpose of the Fit to Device option?). There is always a bit missing at the bottom…or sometimes the whole window seems to be shifted down the screen. In any event I end up having to use the hand tool to move around the display which is annoying and will not be acceptable for handing over to a client.

I’m sure I’m probably just missing something simple but I’ve wasted several hours trying to make it work and I’m about ready to give up, so if anyone has tips, advice, etc on how to make mobile devices display projects correctly it would be much appreciated.

This is just a guess, but:

Have you saved the mobile page to a favorite on your home screen and then launched it from the shortcut? This removes the tab bar you get in Safari, giving you extra vertical space that the fit-to-device settings may be assuming you have.

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin. It would appear that the fit to device does assume it is being accessed from an “Add to Home Screen” shortcut.

Just been playing with a simple project; one main window with some bordered text labels to mark the extents.
By trial and error a main window size of 800Wx1020H displays quite well with the iPad in portrait mode.
In landscape mode it displays the 800W but everything below 583H is only visible by panning with the Hand tool.

That seems to be about the best compromise for a display that will look ok in both orientations, although in portrait mode obviously there’ll be a large blank area at the bottom of the screen, but I can’t really see that there’s anything I can do about that.

I have attached a couple of screenshots from the iPad to illustrate…

The “Fit to Device” doesn’t work that great because it is up to the browser to report the size. Sometimes the browser gives us the wrong size because of the orientation of the iPad.

The best thing you can do is:

1. Don’t use “Fit to Device” but rather use 1024x768 (landscape) or 768x1024 (portrait)
  2. Use Kevin’s suggestion to remove the url bar
  3. Make sure the projects minimum size is less than the size above. I usually set it to 100x100. This is just a property property under Client > User Interface.

Hope this helps.

is someone developing a mobile app (ios/android) to improve the mobile experience?
thanks

Yes, we do have plans on creating native apps for our mobile module sometime next year.

if i use the scripts posted in this forum, i get the server OS’s screen (i think because it renders the mobile windows).
example:from java.awt import GraphicsEnvironment env = GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment() screen = env.getDefaultScreenDevice() size = screen.getDefaultConfiguration().bounds print "Screen %dx%d" % (size.width, size.height)
is it possible to get the mobile device screen resolution (maybe changing when the device is rotated)??
tnx

There’s no way from within the client to get the mobile device’s screen. Remember that the client is actually running on the server, so any code you execute like the code you posted gets run on the server, so it won’t be helpful to get the ipad’s resolution.

after my testing activities i got aware of this…
so the best i can do is to develope a Fitted-To-Device project (since ipads and other tablets have different resolutions), that will never look so good in the portrait oriented devices?

another question: is it possible to have a customized image in the project bookmark icon on the ipad?

Changing the icon would require a white label version of Ignition.

For the screen resolution, the fit to device is what you would want to use. If your intending for your project to be displayed in portrait mode, you can develop a mobile project that has a screen resolution that is taller than wider, also, do this for the windows in the project, not just the project properties. For example, 768X1024 vs 1024X768 (iPad2 screen resolution is the reference). Also, locking the device screen, through the device settings, then launching the project may give you a more optimized screen resolution (I haven’t been able to test this, but in theory it makes sense). Do this when first launching the project.

my idea was to force the viewport jumping from a landscape-sized window to a portrait-sized one, by
reading the screen resolution (i suppose the dimensions should swap), but reading the mobile resolution is not supported…
thank you anyway!

We will be working on the mobile module in the future; however, we do not have an exact timeframe.