How to connect to MQTT over TLS with company certificates

Hello Team,

We are working on project at the company where we are trying to connect to MQTT Distributor (MQTT over TLS) installed in Ignition :

• The connection to MQTT (1883) is working good.
  • The connection to MQTT over TLS (8883) is working only with MQTT Engine of the Ignition Gateway (Internally)
  • The problem is trying to connect to MQTT over TLS/SSL with company certificates.

We have two questions :

• What are the required ports to open between device and Ignition Gateway to ensure this connection (MQTT over TLS/SSL) ? knowing that is secured at the company (it will be good to know if there is other ports to open in addition to 8883) ?
  • From the client side (MQTT Transmission), what are the certificates required to ensure the connection with Ignition Gateway in MQTT over TLS ?

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Hi, were you able to figure out this problem?

Hello, yes the problem is solved :slight_smile:

1. The MQTTS requires the port 8883 in two directions from the broker to client + TLS certificate.
  2. The MQTT client needs only the client certificate.

Which of these certificate do you mean by the client certificate?

I was able to connect the engine and transmission to the distributor but I have been getting connection failed from the outside client and I have the port 8883 opened in two directions from the broker to the client and our Ignition is SSL enabled.

Do we need a separate certificate for the MQTT different from the one we used to enabled the ignition SSL?

When we enabled our SSL, I got a root cert, intermediate cert and server cert which I uploaded on Ignition to enabled the SSL. The client I am trying to connect to with is asking for CA cert and Client cert...which of these cert can be used for CA and Client.