How to Create Digital Indicator in Perspective?

Does anybody know how to create a simple digital indicator.
Just a simple light On/Off based on an Digital input.
Why perspective does not have any indicators?

There are multiple ways to go about this, with increasing complexity based on your requirements for an "indicator".

This attached Indicator.zip file is a View resource which manages an indicator by puling from the Symbol Factory available in the Designer, and manipulating the colors in use for various parts of the internal svg.
Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 2.10.35 PM
Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 2.10.39 PM

Indicator.zip (7.7 KB)

You can manage an even simpler indicator by controlling just the color of a container. The following screenshots use a Map transform, though the same could have been accomplished with a simple if expression.

2 Likes

It can be a challenge to do graphics in Perspective, but you have many options.

Attached is an example view using labels, each label has a custom property myValue you can toggle to see the color change from red to green.
SimpleIndicators.zip (3.0 KB)

Edit, looks like I was too slow to respond. :slight_smile:
I'll leave my example so you have more options presented to you.

1 Like

For colours, you really should be using Perspective Styles instead of magic colours all over the place. Then you would bind to the styles.classes prop of your indicator component to change the class (Perspective style) to use. You might have a Perspective Style, for example, for Off and On which would have the colours defined within them. Extending this further, the colours you use within these should be CSS variables that come from your custom CSS theme :grimacing:

To be honest, symbols in Symbol Factory are outdated. For this, we hired a front-end engineer.

Cmallonee:
Thank you so much, I will try it out.
All I wanted to do just put an indicator on my overview to indicator the digital sensor is good.
Ignition Vision has object for it; don't why perspective does not.

jlandwerlen:
Thank you very much. I will try both to have better understanding of the methods.
I wish Perspective have some built in object for this. Industrial automation use lots digital sensors, HMI or SCADA needs to show this things. I really don't understand why Perspective does not include these objects.

Lots of content on this forum on why Perspective is different from Vision and why it now lacks drawing tools, Search results for 'perspective drawing tools' - Inductive Automation Forum

Perspective is still very powerful and capable, you just have to approach if differently. There is a learning curve.

Edit, perhaps some time spent in IU will do some good,

nideyijuyidong:
You are so lucky to be able to hire an engineer for this.
I have to do electrical design, PLC programming, SCADA and more.
The worst of all' I have to use my personal time to learn Ignition from Inductive University.
This forum is a great help. So many projects, really hard to find time to play around with Ignition.
This forum really help me in so many ways.

I've tested both methods. They both works OK. They are not direct binding to an input tag, I actually had to use the input tag to create an object (checkbox of toggle), then bind the object indicator to the checkbox; then I have to make the checkbox invisible, because if I disable bidirectional, user still can toggle it, it just did not send value to the tag, it is more confusing than ever; I do not want users to use the toggle to change an physical input value, so I have to disable the bidirectional.
Basically, perspective does not allow you to use a digital input to create an indicator. I think Ignition Developer are IT people, they might never worked in Industrial Automation; the concept of digital input to them is completely different; it is honestly very frustrating; so many clients are using Ignition.
Some developers even ignore the operators complete, they make HMI interface easy for a desktop, but very hard for operator to operate on and HMI. I really hope Ignition can add come indicators to Perspective.

Do you use transform? A number could transform to a Boolean value, that's indicater's want.
And you don't need a diabled checkbox, there is custom properties.
And perspective is for web browser, maybe you could start with vision.
Ignition is powerful, but it miss a default configuration fastboot mode.
Last thing, the right one is the best.

nideyijuyidong:
I used to build Ignition with Vision. Now our client asked for Perspective.
custom properties does not allow binding to digital input. It does not work.

Perspective maybe very "powerful", but it is hard to do some very simple basic Industrial HMI.
I really hope Inductive Ignition Software Development Team includes some experienced Industrial Automation Engineers. Simple could be very powerful too.

Allow me to offer just a few suggestions for PLC engineers using Perspective:
Everything is an object. Components, functions, tags, pages, users, etc. are all objects.
Objects have properties. For interactive objects, proper input will produce proper output.
Like the program blocks of a PLC, so the key is to figure out what each component does and what it needs.

They have realized this already, but they need time, maybe five years....
I also have many dissatisfaction with ignition, but there is no better choice for me.

The examples given were just that, examples. If you need to bind to your tag, simply drag your tag onto the custom property, it's now bound. Binding isn't much different than vision, although perspective gives you a lot more functionality.

2 Likes

It works, you just haven't learned how yet.

You should take the Perspective training course on Inductive University.

1. You asked how to create an indicator in Perspective. Multiple users provided that. If you wanted a Tag example, you should have requested that.
  2. You asked how to create an indicator, not an input mechanism. This would be more ably suited by scripts on click events for the indicators we provided.
  3. I wouldn't say it's more confusing, I would say that you are building an example from pieces not intended to be used in that way. If you bind a checkbox against a value, the checkbox reflects (does not drive) the value. If you make the binding bi-directional, the checkbox now changes (drives) the value. If you don't want a user to be able to change the value, but you do want the checkbox to reflect the value, then you should use a standard (non-bi-directional) binding, and then set Checkbox.props.enabled to false.

I'm betting you haven't researched our company very much. While it's true our Development team is built from Software Engineers, the owners and C-level technology folks have been in the industrial automation sphere for decades, and built Ignition over decades to support that industry.

It sounds like you should devote yourself more to learning how to use the new tools in order to help your clients than complaining that the tools don't do what you need automatically.

While some of us devote our own hours to helping customers on the forum.

Perspective and Vision are completely different technologies, which lend themselves to different uses. It's true that Perspective is geared more toward Desktop interactions, but there is NOTHING saying that your project can't be built from Perspective AND Vision. The two modules should be used in conjunction to cover all of your use-cases. If your customer is forcing you to Perspective for HMI solutions, politely inform them that Vision might be the better module for plant floors, as it's been in use there for nearly two decades. We're not stopping support for Vision and it still does everything it has in the past.

5 Likes

Exactly.

I am going to use your object a lots, thank you very much.

1 Like