How to import a dwg file in Designer/Vision

Is there a way to import a dwg file into ignition designer?

Convert it to SVG.
Inkscape is a suitable software package. (I suspect you'll have to convert the DWG to DXF for import into Inkscape.)
Save as Plain SVG for import into Ignition.

3 Likes

I wonder if AutoCAD can be used to convert a DWG file to SVG. Then if that file can be converted to vision designer. That would make things easier. Inkscape seems like a good alternative since it is open source.

Nope.

1 Like

from AutoCAD (DWG to DXF) I was able to export in plain SVG using Inkscape. When I tried to import the bitmap.svg file into ignition, I got an error saying the file could not be imported. I wonder if I am missing anything?

1. How could you get an export error while doing an import?
  2. Naming vector file "bitmap.svg" seems very strange. Is it definitely an SVG? (In Inkscape you should be able to select an object / element and press F2 to show the vector nodes.)

It is a pain .svg file. While importing to designer I get a warning, The project file chosen could not be imported.

Maybe that's the reason you get an export error when importing.
I think you need to be more careful with your problem descriptions when seeking help!

I think they just misspelled the word "plain".

@tx_engr

What happens if you just Drag and Drop the file onto a window in the designer. I think you are trying to import the file using the Import option from the File Menu, but that is specifically for projects, not Images or other types of files.

2 Likes

That worked. Thanks Irose.

2 Likes