How to import UDT definition without removing any members not included in import file

Hello Gentlemen,
I have a client with whom I have 2 very very similar projects, differences being that a few valve/transmitters have been added in the second project. I ended up completing the first project, then cloning it with the differences in valves/temperature transmitters, etc.

The Client now wants some new QT960 ... QT964 transmitters added.

I have a MS_Base UDT Definition in both projects, and have added an additional 5 QT960 - QT964 UDT members in the first project. I want to be able to export this UDT Definition on the first project, and import only the new QT960 - QT964 while not removing some extra valves in that MS_Base on the second project.

When I try to import the MS_Base UDT, it will delete/remove some UDT members that only exist in the second project. I would like to match the other QT950 .. QT959 already in MS_Base

Is there an elegant way to selectively add some UDT members via import while not removing other needed UDT members? ( i.e. a couple extra valves )

I am using Ignition Vision v8.1 . I appreciate any help. Cheers

Not via any inbuilt method. what I'd do is to:

• copy the tags from the UDT def in the tag browser into the standard tags into a new folder
  • Import the changed UDT into a new UDT def.
  • Copy those tags back into another new folder in the standard tags.
  • Copy those tags' json and import into the first new folder. That should replace all of the existing matching tag defs, add new ones, and keep any unmatching ones.
  • Then you can copy those tags back to the UDT def...

There might be some steps in that that can be shorter as I'm not at my laptop atm

2 Likes

Thank you. That method worked for me.

I wonder if IA will add that option when importing in the future i.e. keep existing members that were not included in the import file.