How to make Ignition project transferable for the demo?

hi
I would like to pass Ignition project for demo presentation. Could you please help me to figure out the following:
1 What would be the easiest way to pass the project in “self contained” way?
2 Shall i create docker with Ignition gateway and docker with mariadb so i pass these containers which i believe is just copy and paste - or is it not?
3 i never installed ignition on the docker - whats the best manual or guide to start?

Regards

I definitely think that Docker can help you here. It is fairly simple to define a Docker Compose solution that will bundle an Ignition gateway and your MariaDB database in a set of containers.

Below is an example Compose YAML file that will get you started:

# Example Ignition+MariaDB with Gateway Backup
---
services:
  gateway:
    # ref: https://hub.docker.com/inductiveautomation/ignition
    image: inductiveautomation/ignition:8.1.19
    ports:
      - 8089:8088
    volumes:
      - gateway-data:/usr/local/bin/ignition/data
      - ./gw-init/gateway.gwbk:/restore.gwbk
    environment:
      GATEWAY_ADMIN_PASSWORD: password
      IGNITION_EDITION: standard
      ACCEPT_IGNITION_EULA: "Y"
    command: >
      -n Ignition-demo
      -r /restore.gwbk
  db:
    # ref: https://hub.docker.com/_/mariadb
    image: mariadb:10
    ports:
      - 3306:3306
    environment:
      MARIADB_ROOT_PASSWORD: ignition
      MARIADB_USER: ignition
      MARIADB_PASSWORD: ignition
      MARIADB_DATABASE: ignition
    volumes:
      - db-data:/var/lib/mysql

volumes:
  gateway-data:
  db-data:

Here is a demo video for you too that might help get you rolling: forum-63089.mp4

1 Like

If you also need to preload the database with some content, that can be achieved through some of the initialization provisions within the mariadb Docker image. See the section in the README on Initializing a fresh instance.

2 Likes

thanks Kevin
I heard that docker only allows Ignition Edge to run in some limited way eg. new thread creation is limited or not possible. I hope this is not correct. Any chance you comment on that please?

Not correct. You can run any edition of Ignition (Standard, Maker, Edge) on Docker. You can also seamlessly pull our image on multiple architectures (Intel/AMD x86_64, ARM64, ARMv7). At the end of the day, it is just Ignition running on Linux.

1 Like