HSL vs RGB - who would win? (it's obvious really :))

Could be. It would mean that RGB is the basis for HSL. :laughing:

I'd rather use the original.

(Nick is going to be so annoyed when he wakes up and sees all this.)

4 Likes

Honestly i use to be a web dev guy. and feel in this area it makes no difference. BUT when it comes to print it most def does. blue can turn to purple real quick on print if you get the percentages wrong, but will look correct on your puter. And with all the integrated color pickers and color pallet sites i feel like it is a moot point. If your matching something exact your are color picking or typing in the code. Or you just pick a color you like off a color palete.

I think people over complicate colors. Sure there are hundreds of shades, but most people see 75% of that as the same color anyways.

Letā€™s not forget how subjective colors are for people. Thatā€™s one of many reasons I prefer SCADA systems to be high performance with very few colors that stand out.

Isnā€™t it even better to use HEX code?
As color mostly uses in CSS syntax, maybe it is better we use HEX code for them for the sake of performance.
First, the HEX color code compile faster by browser, and second as CSS code is plain text file and send over the network to client browse to compile, it is better use Hex code because shorter chars need to define color code compare to SL or RGB ( 7ch vs 16ch) and save bandwidth.

Red light is the lowest energy and frequency on the electromagnetic spectrum so that is the baseline value I guess. :crazy_face:

This website had a really cool color picker test for trying to match a sample color :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And so the question is solved! :grin:

Well by that logic Phil, shouldn't you be using some old SCADA from the DOS era? :wink:

1 Like

Funny you mention this. I helped a customer boot such an animal in a VM recently. With working Modbus on serial ports. (USB serial converters presented to the VM as non-USB real serial ports. Tricky.)

Ugly and hacky and very much worth discarding. Unlike RGB colors, which still work perfectly.

Although, there are days I miss DOS. Usually during Windows ā€˜updatesā€™

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to just drop this and run away

List of color spaces and their uses

Tangent:

I recently created a driver module for X-Riteā€™s VeriColor System that samples the reflectance of eight wavelengths on up to six sampling heads for live color control/quality verification.

Draft UI:

My sponsor for this gets free licenses. Itā€™ll be available in the Showcase for everyone else when I have time to clean up the documentation.

{ The blue lines in the color wheels are the trained reflectance standard. The green lines are the live reflectance samples. }

while youā€™re not apparently displaying any actual colors it doesnā€™t really matter what color space you use if the monitors you are displaying it on arenā€™t calibrated.

(Iā€™ve calibrated my main monitor with an X-Rite system for personal photography usage)

2 Likes