HTML Form in Ignition

I am trying to place a form on an Ignition page. My goal is to take text input and send it to a SQL database. Something like an HTML form in the label component looks promising. I can view my form and type into the text fields with the code below placed in a label text, but I cannot find documentation on accessing any data typed in the fields. Is it possible to grab that data?

This is an example of what I was able to type in.

<html>
    <form>
        <input type="text">
        <br>
        <input type="text">
        <br>
        <input type="text">
    </form>
</html>

Alternatively, are there better solutions for what I am trying to do? I searched the module showcase and didn’t find anything that looked relevant, but if there is something, I would be more than happy to take a look at it.

I am working with Ignition 7.8.4

Hi! Welcome to the forums!

Nick Mudge has a post on his blog that should help you out:

http://nickmudge.info/post/new-components-for-database-backed-user-input-forms-in-Ignition

You are going to have to become intimately familiar with Wicket. I tried to avoid it too, and beat my head against a wall for weeks and weeks. Embrace the suck. And study the Ignition-provided pages and models – especially for anything you’ll store in the internal DB.

The good news (I think) is that v7.9 has adopted ReactJS for new development, with just a placeholder in the existing wicket framework. I haven’t deployed anything with it yet, but it looks awful good.

Thank you both for the suggestions. Nick’s forms aren’t quite what I’m looking for, but if I can’t get what I want to work, that’s what I’ll go with.

As for Wicket, I don’t really understand how it is used. Can a form be embedded in the ignition page with it? Is there an example project you could point me toward that would show its capability with Ignition? Last and perhaps most importantly, does Ignition inherently have “Wicket capability,” or will I have to add something?

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

This should be pretty easy to do using the WebDev module.

You won’t have to develop your own module or learn Wicket or React this route.

edit: unless by “Ignition page” you mean a screen in the Vision client, in which case this module does not apply.

I did something like this

use a text box as the inputbox

ex:

fname= event.source.parent.getComponent(‘fname’).text
lname= event.source.parent.getComponent(‘fname’).text
system.db.runPrepUpdate(“INSERT INTO yourdatabase(fname, lnameolor,colornum) VALUES (?,?)”, [fname,lname])