[IGN-3210] Unable to open Window, "Not in GZIP Format"

After spinning up my development gateway today, I’m being greeted with an error when trying to open some windows in the client and designer:

java.util.zip.ZipException: Not in GZIP format
	at java.base/java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowInfo.getInputStream(WindowInfo.java:145)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache._loadWindow(WindowCache.java:312)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.application.model.WindowCache.openWindow(WindowCache.java:291)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.workspace.WindowWorkspace$DesigntimeWindowOpener.openWindow(WindowWorkspace.java:3532)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.workspace.WindowWorkspace.openWindow(WindowWorkspace.java:1296)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.workspace.StartupPanel$ResourceThumbnail.onClick(StartupPanel.java:337)
	at com.inductiveautomation.factorypmi.designer.workspace.StartupPanel$ThumbnailButton$1.mouseClicked(StartupPanel.java:241)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Ignition v8.0.13 (b2020060815)
Java: Azul Systems, Inc. 11.0.6

All in all there’s probably about 10 windows that I can no longer open. Is there anything I can do besides rebuild them?

Bonjour, j’ai également le même problème ce matin. Je sui sen version 8.1.0 (b2020110211).
Impossible d’ouvrir deux fenêtres. Un message d’erreur apparaît.
Avez-vous une solution?
erreur_ouverture fenêtre

Hey,

I never found a solution, I had to rebuild the affected windows.
I didn’t contact support though; they may have a better solution.

I just got hit by this same issue. Looks like I lost at least 2 screens. Version 8.1.4

Do you know if anyone has connected to your gateway with maker edition by chance?

I’m not using maker edition but a coworker may have connected to my gateway with maker to copy stuff. I’m trying to figure out if this is possibly related to maker edition.

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

It appears that the window’s data being overwritten on disk, possibly by an external agent. We’re going to need a little more information to go on here as we cannot reproduce this issue. When this happens, can you find the window’s resource folder - under your installation directory, you’ll see a folder called data/projects/yourProject/com.inductiveautomation.vision/windows and then under there will be your folder structure of windows. Find your window’s folder, and look at the resource.json file, and look for the attributes.lastModification object, and let us know what it says.

I have just had the same thing happen, v8.1.9 , windows 10, multiple windows fail to open with the same message about ZipException: Not in GZIP format. Anyone have any ideas/fixes?

EDIT: this is also happened with a Template but a different error. SerializationException: Unexpected parsing error during XML deserialization. caused by org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.

hi mr. Carl.Gould
I just got the same issue

Screenshot 2021-10-25 151211

Did anyone find a solution to this? We are seeing the same issue. v8.1.7. One vision window is lost so far.

This is in the resource file:

All other windows that are working correctly have “actor”: “admin”. The broken window shows “actor”: “external”

Can anyone share (if they recall) anything about when they last modified these windows, or any other steps that might help reproduce?

Were the windows that broke windows that hadn’t been opened in the designer anytime recently, or are they frequently modified windows?
Are you developing remotely (over a VPN?) or within your local network?
Is it only windows, or both windows and templates?
How’s your IT group? Any chance they put any kind of invasive AV/security product that could touch files on disk to scan them? Please share the names of particular products you’re using (perhaps we can form a common thread among users reporting problems).

I’m going to look at the code paths to save a Vision window in detail, but any additional background is helpful.

Also, what OS is the gateway running on?

I first noticed my corrupted windows after suspending/resuming the VM (Windows 10) running my gateway.

Recently modified windows, they were windows I was in the process of actively developing.

Local network.

Just windows, I didn’t have any affected templates.

This gateway VM was completely unmanaged by IT.

2 Likes

On e of my students faces the same issue… Has anyone found a solution oir a fix to retreive lost windows yet?

Once a window is corrupted like this, it’s gone (from Ignition’s perspective). If you don’t have any external backup (e.g. of the filesystem), that’s it.