[IGN-4876]System.util.translate takes too long

Hello @PGriffith, are there any news regarding this issue?
Honestly the ability to properly and efficiently translate texts in Ignition Perspective is a must have and being forced to use a workaround is starting to feel just wrong by a paying customer side: it has been months without any kind of proper feedback on the matter.

I'm quoting your message from November 2021:

I get that fixing bugs requires time, but at the same time we're on version 8.1.16 and nothing has changed. Moreover 8.1.17 nightly versions' changelogs don't seem to deal with this issue, at the moment.
Thank you.

@Davide3i
Would your solution not be faster if you executed it like pturmel said? Or are you already doing it like that?

Consider pre-translating all necessary static words into private session custom properties, where the translation is triggered only by changes in the locale. Then the heavily used expressions and transforms can simply reference {session.props.custom.translated.wo} or {session.props.custom.translated.pc} in a simple stringFormat() expression. (Bonus is that will avoid jython’s string interpolation in favor of java’s.)
(Possibly use an expression structure to generate session.props.custom.translated.* in one go.)

Hello @louagejasper!
Yep, we are already doing it like that, but we’re still talking about a workaround.
This and the fact the Translation Manager is still pretty bugged, it’s quite a turn down.
I don’t want to sound as overly critic, but locales management is not the best Perspective feature at this moment.

Ok, good to know!

1 Like

The core issue here with system.util.translate is fixed for 8.1.17; you will be able to test in tomorrow’s nightly build.

2 Likes