[IGN-6111] Delete records via transaction group

Hi,

While experimenting with the “Delete records older than:” option in a transaction group, I noticed that all current rows were deleted (even if multiple rows were not older than the option) in the database table if I via script console inserted a new row with an old timestamp.

For testing, I used the following configuration:

These value were inserted by the transaction group (on a value change trigger):

30 seconds later I inserted a new row via the script console (system.db.runPrepUpdate), with a t_stamp from yesterday:

Couple of seconds later, even if three of the t_stamps were “inside” the delete option, all the rows were deleted from the table:

It seems to be happening if I insert a new row in the table with a t_stamp outside the delete option, and has a higher row index.

Seems strange that it deletes all rows, even if many of them are inside the “time limit” of the transaction group :thinking:

Is this normal behaviour? Anyone else experienced this, and knows how to avoid it (besides disabling the option of deleting records older than…)?

Tested on ubuntu (v. 8.1.16) and windows (v. 8.1.11).

1 Like

Oy! Sounds like a bug. You should report this to support.

1 Like

I just tried this on Windows 10, Ignition 8.1.17 RC1, and PostgreSQL DB…
And it works as it should… :thinking:

Just tried my scenario with PostgreSQL also, the same thing happens there… :thinking:

Can you post an image of your transaction group configuration, so that I can try the same setup? :slight_smile:

I'm inclined to think it's a bug, but what you're doing is also outside the normal usage of a transaction group. :man_shrugging:

Agree that it may not be the normal usage of a transaction group, but I am glad I did not experience this on a large table with thousands of rows resulting in the loss of a large amount of data :slight_smile:
Maybe there should be some kind of logic preventing this from happening. If there is no such thing already existing, that I’m not aware of? :thinking:

Any chance you have another group somewhere pointing at the same table?

No chance :slight_smile:

Have tried creating new "custom" tables, tried adjusting the "delete records older than:" setting to larger values (hours, days etc.), tried adjusting the transaction group trigger settings, the issue still happens..

I have created a support ticket, and the first response from support is:

What you're seeing here is a known bug related to internal timestamp comparisons. Notice that if you start with a brand new table, the issue will still happen, and it happens every 60 seconds. The issue relates to timezones, so I think the logic behind the scenes will cause some issues.

The support team further says that an internal bug ticket has been created so that the developers may prioritize it. Development is also being asked to verify the conditions required for this issue and potentially escalate this if it poses a risk to large table data.

Sorry, but I was too quick…
You’re right, it’s deleting all rows…
This is what I found in the PostgreSQL log file:

2022-05-11 08:47:59.635 CEST [6384] LOG:  execute <unnamed>: SELECT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
2022-05-11 08:47:59.637 CEST [6384] LOG:  execute S_11: SELECT max("testtable_ndx") FROM testtable WHERE "t_stamp"<$1
2022-05-11 08:47:59.637 CEST [6384] DETAIL:  parameters: $1 = '2022-05-11 08:42:59.635'
2022-05-11 08:47:59.638 CEST [6384] LOG:  execute S_16: DELETE FROM testtable WHERE "testtable_ndx"<=$1
2022-05-11 08:47:59.638 CEST [6384] DETAIL:  parameters: $1 = '20'

It is deleted based on the index…

4 Likes

Oy! That's just evil.

6 Likes

Hi all,

FYI this issue is fixed in Ignition 8.1.19. Check out the changelog for that version when it’s released!

3 Likes