Ignition 7.6 Designer a bit fragile under Linux

Am using Oracle Java 1.7.0.21

After some time in use it seems to have a hard hang and requires a kill

If I pass a complex UDT as a parameter of a window am playing with fire as when it crashes (often) it takes out the window one is working on (left with a tree entry with a window name but no content at all)

I have taken to passing UDT path as parameter an dusing indirect bindings and this appears much more reliable.

When it crashes (no UDT passed) I typically lose current window edits despite any saves. Reverts to last close of window, not the last save when I restart.

I have been modifying my behaviours to limit crashes (eg save often, restart designer often, pass path and use indirect bindings to UDetc) but it is somewhat annoying.

Haven’t used under windows so cannot comment if this extends to that platform.

I have seen permgen faults a few times on the console before it goes unresponsive.

It seems likely issues are memory utilisation related…

with ignition running (in crash) 100k-500K available

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem: 4048880 3945332 103548 0 49328 409176
-/+ buffers/cache: 3486828 562052

I’ll soon have a machine with way more memory to work on…will see if things improve then.

I’ve been using the Ignition server and designer and clients on Debian 6 and Ubuntu a lot and it has been working great. Very fast and stable. However I have not been using UDTs at all.

I am using Sun/Oracle Java 1.6.0_26

Been digging a bit more.

It is related to permgen space allocation.

Are using Oracle 1.7 and it suffers the parsing bug in the jnlp options. This bug unfortunately requires removal of the java_vm_args option to run the designer which just happens to disable the -XX:MaxPermSize option which is looking like the setting needed to solve the problem.

I suspect using older java without the parse bug may not see this problem.

Yay Oracle.

[quote=“gekkoman”]Been digging a bit more.

It is related to permgen space allocation.

Are using Oracle 1.7 and it suffers the parsing bug in the jnlp options. This bug unfortunately requires removal of the java_vm_args option to run the designer which just happens to disable the -XX:MaxPermSize option which is looking like the setting needed to solve the problem.

I suspect using older java without the parse bug may not see this problem.

Yay Oracle.[/quote]

Yeah… we’re hoping to have some kind of stand-alone launchers later this year so we can stop relying on webstart. :cry:

Have switched to using IcedTea JDK - working much better and does not suffer the jnlp launch bug.

I haven’t used it much, but will report any issues I encounter.